Chapter 5: Frayed

++++++

The school bus drove on the desert road with Coach Finstock looking out at the passing scenery with a glum look before he turned back and quickly blew his whistle.

"Back to your seat!" he said to the student that was standing to look at the scenery too.

Scott and Stiles were sitting over at the back of the bus together while Sabrina sat in a seat in front of them. Scott was absentmindedly staring out the window while Stiles was scrolling down the screen of his tablet. Scott's mind was lost in the memories of the previous night.

"Yo Scotty. Hey, yo, Scotty?" Stiles said before snapping his fingers at him to bring him out of his daze. "You still with me?"

Scott rubbed at his eyes. "Yeah, sorry. What's the word?" he quickly asked.

"Anachronism," Stiles read out to help Scott with his resolution to be a better student which he was determined to still follow.

Scott sighed. "Something that exists out of its normal time."

"Or an error in time placement,"

Stiles looked up to see his girlfriend facing at them with a smile on her face. Stiles smiled back as he nodded. "Nice. You two are correct. Okay, next word, incongruous."

"Uh...can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked as he was drawing a blank.

"Yes. Yes I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened, incongruous," Stiles finished.

"Out of place," Scott answered. "Ridiculous, absurd." "Or lacking in harmony," Sabrina answered. "Perfect you two. Okay, next word, Um, Darach." Scott went to give him a look. "Darach, it's a noun." Stiles finally turned to see the look Scott was giving him and he turned away. Stiles rolled his eyes. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" Scott just sighed and moved to rest his head against the glass window. Stiles gave up. "Next word, Intransigent," he said going back to the list.

"Stubborn, obstinate," Scott answered. "Just like you," Sabrina said to him. She wanted to talk about the events that had happened last night but Scott was being stubborn.

But then the bus suddenly hit a bump and Scott painfully flinched.

"Oh," Stiles said as he noticed that Scott was reaching for where he was wounded. "Buddy, you okay?" Scott just grit his teeth in pain and Stiles started to shake his head. "We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We shouldn't have come."

"We had to," Scott argued. "There's safety in numbers."

"Yeah, well there's also death in numbers, okay?. It's called a massacre or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery," he said listing its synonyms as he read from the tablet. "Wow, that's," But a pained whimper came from Scott as Stiles stopped and put his tablet down. "All right, Scott, I'm telling Coach that-" said Sabrina as she went to stand up but Scott reached over and pulled her back down in her seat.

"No. No, no, no. I'm all right."

"Well you don't look all right," Sabrina pointed out. "Would you just let me see it?" Stiles asked. "I'm okay." "Just let us see it, okay?" Stiles said giving Scott a hard look.

Scott sighed and then nodded. "Okay," he conceded as he lifted his shirt.

"Oh dude." Stiles and Sabrina saw that the wound was still looking pretty bad. It looked like he had only just got it. Scott put his shirt back down. "I know it's bad but it's because they're from an Alpha. It'll take longer to heal."