Chapter 16: Illuminated

++++++

Scott, Stiles, Sabrina, Kira and Lydia all stood outside the power station when a couple of squad cars pulled up to it. No doubt it was to see what was behind the blackout. Among those cars was the Sheriff's and he stepped out of the car and just gave a look at them. Lydia cried out that Barrow was inside while Scott had his arm around Kira who was very interested in her shoes. The Sheriff sent his deputies inside while he went over to them, to his son who was just staring at him.

"What happened here Stiles?" he hissed at his son. "How did you guys find Barrow here and who is she and why did he take this girl?" he asked as he looked over at Kira.

Stiles sighed. "Do you want the truth or the truth?" he asked with narrowed eyes.

Stiles then looked over at Kira and Scott looked up and caught the Sheriff's eyes with the same kind of look that Stiles had when he told him about Lydia. "Oh you gotta kidding me," he sighed out tirelessly. Twice in one day.

But then Stiles stiffened. "Dad."

The Sheriff turned around and saw a new car pulling in. Agent McCall's car. He got out and looked at all of them with a narrowed set of eyes.

Before they knew it, they were all back in the Sheriff's office back in the station.

The place was still dark as the power hadn't been restored. Scott, Stiles, Sabrina and Lydia gave Scott's dad an abridged and vague version of what had happened after Barrow had kidnapped Kira and took her to the substation. The Sheriff just sat at his desk patiently as he easily read between what his son and his friends were saying. He knew that Stiles would tell him the full story, in confusing and frightful detail, later on so he just sat there, letting himself watch as Agent McCall get frustrated by the vague explanations he was getting with disguised amusement.

"So when did you get there?" Agent McCall asked them.

"At the same time," Stiles said as simply as he could. "Same time as who?" McCall asked. "Same time as me," Scott said to him. "By coincidence?" "What do you mean coincidence?" Stiles asked him. "That's what I'm asking you," he said raising his voice a bit. "The three of you arrived at the same time. Was that coincidence?" That made all of them just look at him.

"Are you asking me?" Scott asked him. Stiles looked over at him. "I think he's asking me." "No, I'm pretty sure he's asking me," Sabrina said. "I think he's asking the three of you," Lydia said to them.

"Okay," McCall cut in. "Let me answer the questions." That made them all widen their eyes at him, except Kira who just looked down as she twiddled her fingers silently. Behind him, the Sheriff tried to keep a professional composer but he still hid his smile behind his hand. "Let me ask the questions," McCall corrected himself. "Just so I have this absolutely clear. Barrow was hiding in the chemistry closet at the school and someone left him a coded message on the blackboard telling him to kill Kira. Then Barrow took Kira to a power substation and tied her up with the intent to electrocuting her, which blacked out the entire town."

Stiles nodded. "Sounds about right," he mumbled. McCall looked straight at him. "How did you know that he'd take her to a power substation?" "Well, because he was an electrical engineer. So where else would he take her?" he shrugged at him. "That's one hell of a deduction there, Stiles." "Yeah, what can I say? I take after my pops. He is in law enforcement," he said with a smile before he sent his dad a wink.

 He is in law enforcement," he said with a smile before he sent his dad a wink