Chapter 8: Visionary

++++++

Stiles was sitting in the loft, looking up at Cora who was staring out the fogged windows. He had taken Sabrina back home so she could rest. Cora was telling him of a time that she remembered her brother Derek being in trouble.  

He had been out for a run in the woods at night when he had bumped into another werewolf. Derek had only enough time to get a look at the guy before an arrow was lodged into his throat. It had been a hunter belonging to the Argents that had taken the guy out and he wanted to take Derek out. That was until Peter had arrived to help him as their mother had sent him out to find him. 

 He had pulled Derek away as more hunters including Allison's father and grandfather had come in to hunt for them. They then had gone off to hide in a secret cellar in the woods.

"They were there for two days. Waiting, hiding," she mumbled, still staring out the window. "That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us. Hide and Heal."

"Okay," Stiles huffed as he paced in front of the table. "So is two days standard then? Or are we thinking that Derek is on, like, some extended getaway."

Cora turned to look over at him. "Why do you care?"

Stiles stopped pacing and widened his eyes at her. "Why do I care? Lee see, because over the last few weeks, my best friend and girlfriend tried to kill themselves, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. Boyd was killed by Alphas. My girlfriend got electrocuted. You want me to keep going?" he asked as Cora lowered her head down. "Cause I can, all right? For, like, an hour." 

Cora started to move away from the window and towards him. "You think Derek can do anything about that?"

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it. Yeah."  Cora shook her head. "I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him."

Stiles stopped pacing and looked straight at her. He just realized that he didn't know too much about Derek's past, at least when it came to his family and life before Kate Argent and the fire. "What was he like?" he asked with interest.

But then there was some sound from the staircase as Peter came down it. "A lot like Scott, actually," he said as he stepped down. "A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."

Stiles rolled his eyes. "And so what happened? What changed him?"

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men...a girl?"

Now Stiles let out a skeptical scoff. "You're telling me that some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?"

Peter then turned to Cora. "Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha and had blue eyes?" He then turned to Stiles. "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "No, I just always thought that it was, like, a genetic thing."

"If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes."

++++++

Peter began to tell Stiles and Cora of the day that Derek had formally met a girl that he liked.

It was a girl named Paige who was quite a cello player. They had met when Paige had been practicing her playing in the music room but Derek had been making a lot of noise just outside with his friends on the basketball team.