19: The Consultant

When the 3 week deadline was up, I found myself walking into Lind Corp. with Alex beside me. Since it was a business meeting, I needed Alex there to handle the logistic part. While the man was not happy, I was glad that he still accompanied me.

"Vic?"

Victor Contra was standing outside grandfather's office.

"Calla" He appeared relieved when he saw me. "You came"

                Of course I did, he even called me a few days earlier to remind me about the meeting.

"What's going on?"

It was strange that he was greeting me outside the office.

"The meeting was moved to the board room"

                What?

"Along with several board members of Lind Corp, the founders of Aion, your father, uncles, and Aaron Frye are all present"

Why all are those people here? Wasn't the meeting between grandfather and me?

"1.2 billion is no small number..." Vic said gently.

                Instantly, I understood that the old man had set me up. He knew all along that many people would be involved if he were to consider Aion as a potential investment.

"Looks like you're set up" Alex smirked.

                Without turning to face Alexander Locke, I elbowed him hard in his gut. His painful groan made me feel a little better.

"Let's not keep everyone waiting then" My smile was like glazier.

                Vic had the good grace to flinch guilty. I followed behind him ignoring the painful groan of my president.

"Ms. Calla has arrived" Vic announced as we entered the large conference hall.

                I ignored all the eyes on me as I followed Vic to the empty seat to the left of grandfather. I haven't sat down yet and immediately, I heard someone laughed as if the situation was a joke.

"You can't be serious? Father, we were waiting all this time for a little girl?"

                The sad thing was, the person speaking was my father. He doesn't even recognize his own daughter as he ridicules me. And with his outburst, many other follow suit. I could only ignore while looking over to Vic who was smart enough to bring me tea.

"Do I need your permission on who I hire as my consultant?" James Lind spoke with his usual cold, detached tone.

                At the end of the day, James Lind held the highest position with the most stock for the company. The final decision was all him. No one else dared to make any more comments even though they were clearly dissatisfied.

"My time is limited" James Lind eyes went to Eli Frye. "You can start"

                Instead of looking at James Lind, Eli Frye was looking at me. I figured his thoughts were just like everyone else there. Why am I there? Hiding my bitter feelings, I reached for the file Vic had given me.

When the lights to the room dimmed and the presentation started, I focused on the files in front of me while Eli Frye deep voice carried clearly through the room. It had been impressive – the presentation. But as expected, many of the board members were against Aion. 1.2 billion is a large number and no one is willing to put out the money no matter how brilliant the project was. What's more, they were afraid of the public reaction to such a radical experiment.

"What are your thoughts?"

                My grandfather question stunned everyone. No one gets why the all-powerful man was deferring to a young 18 year old woman. Everyone had been too surprise to react while I closed the file.

"250 million should be enough for 1 school term trial. Pick 12 school districts – preferably the weakest and poorest to do the trial. If the results are good, add another 250 million for additional 24 school districts the following school term. After the 3th year, the results should be clear on whether the investment should continue"

"How should we to handle the public reaction?" Before anyone spoke out, grandfather asked the question.

"Of the 250 million, Aion should spend 20% each year toward the district infrastructure development in Lind Corp.'s name. The public will be less incline to rejection if you prove to them you care more about the student well-being than the results of your software."

"And what will Lind Corp. get out of this?" A board member asked.

                The root to all of this comes down to profit.

"In the upcoming 3 years, Lind Corp. will not have any monetary gains directly from this investment. I can't predict the amount of profits Aion will gain in the future but it's fair to say Lind Corp. should receive 65% for 3 years following after the initial investment."

"You speak as if the company will succeed in this venture" My father scowled. "If it fails, the company reputation will go down the drain"

Many other board members agreed with my father.

"Lind Corp. reputation will not be harm"

                I was surprised when Eli Frye spoke. Seeing his eyes still on me, that uncomfortable feeling rose again. I was confused. Why was he still looking at me?

"By improving the district infrastructure in Lind Corp. name, regardless of Aion being successful or not, the public already has a positive view toward your company"

                It wasn't my company – why is he looking at me as he said that? What's more, it's a bit annoying that all those men are willing to listen to Eli Frye while my words are dismissed like air. How bias was that? This is why I hate going to meetings. I'm always being viewed as an ignorant teenager.

"The fact still remains that Lind Corp. chance of profits is low"

                I felt disappointed that my own father had not paid any attention to my words.

"All due respect" Alexander Locke spoke with a lilt of laughter. "But have you been listening?"

                My dad frowned to the insult. Everyone attention went to the pretty man with an aura similar to that of Eli Frye. Because Alex hadn't said a word since the beginning, people did not notice him. Now that he spoke, everyone was surprised that they missed such a charismatic person. It didn't take them long before they recognized that he was Alexander Locke – the CEO of the infamous Allac – the Development and Investment Company. Everyone was wondering why he was there.

"While there isn't any monetary gains directly from this investment, Calla already made it clear that Lind Corp will profit through the public eyes. Spending 250 a year is nothing when the company can make 150% turnover with a little marketing on your end. That 15% interest for 3 years following after the initial investment is more than generous"

"Alex..." I looked dryly at him

He really does need to work on his temper.

"What?" He turned his eyes to me, daring me to correct him.

"I really can't take you anywhere" I rolled my eyes.

                When I turned to my grandfather, I was annoyed to see his smiles. The old man was clearly having fun at my expense.

"I think the discussion ends here" I couldn't even muster the indignation at being played by the old man. "If there any further consultation required, Alex will be taking the lead"

                I got up and calmly walked out. I was proud with myself that I didn't run off instead.