45: Wasted Talent

"Grandpa"

I smiled at the old man who sat regally at the center seat of the large round table.

"There was no need for you to perform with that imprudent prince"

Only James Lind could ever get always with calling a royal prince imprudent. No one at the table even flinched at the old man remarks. Even Malik Shah's father, Hasid Shah was seated at my grandfather's table had an amused smile on his face.

"I didn't have a choice grandpa" I smiled innocently. "Ms. Kragen and her friends were adamant on having me perform a little piece for everyone"

"Insignificant people" My grandfather lectured coolly. "Do not be influenced by such people"

Just with that statement in front of some of the world's most powerful and influential people, I knew the Kragen family was marked. Perfect! I never claimed to be a good person. In fact, I've always been quite petty to those who cause me troubles. In this dog eat dog world, if I don't strike after being bitten, the other person will continue to bully – thinking that I am an easy target. I'm no fool. That woman and her friends needed to be taught a lesson. It's a shame that her family and associates will suffer because of her.

"Why are you still standing? Sit down"

Andy pulled out the empty chair next to my grandfather for me to sit.

"Would like some tea Ms. Calla?" Andy whispered to me.

"Yes. Thank you Andy"

At the same moment, Keita Suzuki was at center of the room with a wireless microphone asking everyone to take their seats. Dinner was ready and the Charity Auction will begin right after the meals. The perks of sitting at the VIP table was that you will always be served first. Since I sat with the VIP James Lind, I was able to get the best treatment.

It had been perfect up until the discussion focused on me. I was suddenly bombarded with questions from the group of elders. I never had to talk about myself so it felt awkward to do so. It had been more awkward when Emi Suzuki tried to recruit me into Julliard – the renowned music school which she was one of board of directors. I should have expected it after the performance.

"I'm already committed to another university"

"Which school could be possible better than Julliard's?"

By all means, Julliard is the best music school in the country.

"You've misunderstood... I'm not studying music"

"You're not? How could you not? It's a waste of your talent if you don't pursue music. I assure you Calla that Julliard will help you develop into an exceptional violinist"

I smiled wryly at Emi Suzuki eagerness.

"James" Emi turned to my grandfather. "Surely you will encourage Calla"

"She's already attending Yale" Grandfather tone showed his lack of interest in the conversation.

"Yale?" Emi gasped – but not in a good way. "Her talents will be wasted there"

I held back my laughter since the woman still believe that I'm studying music.

"I'm not attending Yale to study music" I clarified.

She gasped again.

"Oh" Richard Tate, the Owner and CEO of the world leading motor technology, grinned at me. "What are you studying Calla?"

When I told him linguistic, he grinned wider. All a while, Emi was disappointed and tried to convince me to switch studies.

"I didn't know you to be a pushy woman"

James Lind never minced his words.

"I_" Emi tried to defend herself. "I..."

Emi Suzuki realize that she was unnaturally aggressive – especially toward a young woman she just met. I understood it was because she liked me.

"Grandpa, you should be the last person in this planet to call anyone pushy"

My grandfather ignored me as he took a sip of his wine while everyone at the table laughed at the true statement. I gave the sweet old woman a playful wink and was glad to see her usual smile returned. To avoid the conversation focus to me, I switched to another topic.