38: Awkward Reunion

As agreed, I attend the press conference for Aion reveal. Sitting among the crowd, I watched the presentation from beginning to end. It didn't surprise me that the project was well received and welcomed. All the questions were well answered. Anyone could tell Aion came prepared with a mission.

Still, I knew a big part of the success was the fact that the founders of Aion were all gorgeous men and leading the group was the charismatic Eli Frye. It's wrong to say but its human nature to be more accepting toward beautiful people. And Eli Frye is one beautiful man.

"Ms. Lind, I'm here to escort you to the private lounging room on behalf of Mr. Carter's request"

I was exiting the conference room when I was approached by a big man in a dark suit. He was obviously someone from security. I followed behind him while he guide me to the private corridor that lead to a huge double wooden door. Two more men stood guarding the doors. When they saw me, they pushed opened the door.

The first thing I saw was a beautiful petite woman with long curly raven black hair, sky blue eyes and ruby red lips. What had my heart stopped was how the beautiful woman had her hand on Eli's shoulders as she tipped-toed herself up to kiss his cheek. It was as if time stopped and that memory of the past flashed deep within my mind of the moment when I saw Eli and Rose shared a deep kiss. It had driven me into insanity and rage.

"Calla?"

Rose voice was how I remembered it – lovely and sweet like spring. Her eyes saw me and widen in surprise before she rushed to me with the unchanging kind smile. The thing was – Rose Lind had always been a beautiful person – inside and out. As a child, I resented it believing it's only a facade that my older sister put up. Now, I seeing her smiles – truly seeing her for the first time after so long, I understood the problem had lied within my own complexity.

"Oh my god, look at you" She laughed softly as she hugged me – burying her face into my shoulder. "You're all grown up... and your hair... you cut it"

It had been 4 years since we last saw each other. The last time Rose saw me, I still had long hair - very much similar to hers. After they left New Haven, I cut my hair short. I no longer have the desire to have long hair as it takes too much time and effort to maintain.

"I didn't know you were in New York" Rose stepped back but held onto my hands. "I heard you're attending Yale. What are you studying?"

When I just look at her, she stopped with embarrassment.

"Sorry, it's been a while since we last saw each other and I'm already bombarding you with questions... How have you been Calla?"

"I'm doing well..."

It is all that I could say. Feeling the awkward tension between me and my sister, I felt this uncomfortable guilt. I couldn't help it because Rose and I were never close. As a child I had been spoil and mean to her. As an adult I've only became worst – blaming her for my misery. Even when I revert back to my former 14 years old self, I couldn't close that distant between us sisters. I don't have the right to after what I've done. And I don't have the courage to.

"Rose, aren't you going to introduce us?"

That was when I realized the large group in private room. I had only recognized the 4 founders of Aion. The other 6 people were unfamiliar.

"Of course. Everyone this is my little sister Calla Lind"

As Rose was introducing me to her friends, one of them, a young French man with the same age as me, boldly took hold of my hand and brought it to his lips. What surprised him wasn't that I pulled my hand away, but when Eli Frye grabbed hold of his back collar to stop him. There was silence with everyone confused or startled by Eli Frye action.