27: Keep or Throw Away

I took the package to Aion that same afternoon. Standing just outside Eli Frye's private office, I could see through the glass wall that he was on the phone. When our eyes met, I waited until he finished his call before I entered. Once I was at his desk, I set the box down.

"What's this?" He asked with his usual expressionless face.

That's what I wanted to ask you.

"I received it this morning" I figured it's best to be frank. "Apparently from you"

He didn't respond. He only looked at me.

"If this is compensation for yesterday, you don't need to"

I tried to be polite and even flash my business smiles.

"Did you not like it?"

I didn't expect him to ask me.

"No_ I mean yes, the purse is nice_"

"Then what's the problem" He looked at me with his stoic expression.

I beginning to feel silly for making a big issue about the purse. Even though it cost a fortune for the average person – Eli Frye wasn't average. Even for me, the price of the purse wasn't a big deal. It just didn't feel right to receive anything from Eli Frye. Moreover, it felt weird knowing that Eli Frye wasn't the type of man who would give random gifts to people. I didn't want to misunderstand his intention, but how should I put that correctly into words?

"I have no use for it" 

He stood up from his seat and reached his blazer hanging on the pole nearby. 

"If you don't want it, throw it away"

Is it me or does he sound upset – annoyed even? Before I get to say anything else, the man already left the office leaving me there speechless. I don't think I will ever have a normal conversation with Eli Frye. Looking at the box, I realized I had no choice but to take it with me. The man would just toss it in the trash if I leave the box there. He wouldn't care. On the other hand, I couldn't let a good Chanel go to waste.