32: Priorities and Principles

I'm being tortured. They're doing it on purpose. I know they are. Why else would they force me - a small frail girl, to sit among men? Even in the exclusive private restaurant, I felt all eyes on our table.

What had originally was lunch between me and grandfather became lunch with grandfather, Victor Contra, father, eldest Uncle Gregory, Eli Frye and his father. I had been stunned to see the group as I entered. I had turned to make my escape but the hostess had blocked my escape route.

                I resign myself to the torturous meal ahead and went to the table. Vic pulled out an empty chair between my grandfather and my father. Trying hard not to groan or whine, I sat down.

"Where are your manners?"

                I was startled when my father was speaking to me. I could see the disapproval on his face. It took me a moment because it's been years since I've been this close to him.

"Yes... where are my manners..." I said softly under my breath. "Good afternoon gentlemen, I hope I didn't keep everyone waiting"

                Then again, I never asked them to wait for me to begin with. Glancing at my grandfather, I held back a glare while he drink wine with his nonchalant attitude. Lifting my eyes away from the old man, I swore I will not have lunch with him ever again. Well, at least for a whole month.

"Ms. Calla, your chrysanthemum tea"

                When the restaurant manager came to our table, I smiled as the kind man placed the crystal glass pot of chrysanthemum flower tea. The restaurant is known for their first class winery but because my grandfather and I dine here often, they accommodated my taste for fine tea. When I first saw the beautiful tea, I knew Vic had called the restaurant to prepare it because only he was observant enough to know that what I like.

"Thank you Lenny" I smiled up at him.

"My pleasure Ms. Calla" He responded with his usual kind smiles as he set the cup in front of me.

                While I was drinking my tea, the manager told us the lunch specials. After taking everyone orders, he bowed and left.

"How was class today?"

                Whenever we had lunch or dinner, grandfather always asks me about my day. It was amusing because I knew it was his way to start a conversation with me. It wasn't that he was truly interested in my classes. He is just making small talk.

"It was good"

"I heard you're attending Yale" My father spoke up. "You should know it's your grandfather's alma mater so don't do unnecessary things to embarrass him"

You would think my skin would be thicker after so many years of hearing such words from my father. Somehow, his words still manage to cause a twinge of disappointment inside me.

"I'm curious Calla" My uncle suddenly ask. "What are you currently studying?"

"Linguistic"

"You should study art or music" My father scowled.

                I had to suppress a bitter laugh. It was so typical and normal to hear my father opinion on what I should study. Really, in this time and age, my father way is thinking is antiquated. If I were his son, I would be studying business. But I was his daughter, so I should study arts or music. Learning from the past, I knew better than to say anything back.

"Yale has a distinguished linguistic program" To my surprise, Mr. Aaron Frye spoke with smile. "It's rare for a young woman to study language"

                I never interact with Aaron Frye so it surprised me to have him talking to me. It had always been Rose who was invited to attend all of the Frye's related events and gathering. Rose was the one who was close to Eli and his family.