Chapter 6: "How was your day?"

It has taken two weeks for Rockdale High to test me and agree to place me in the honors classes that Mandi wants me at. During those two weeks, I had to go see who I guess is my Pediatrician Dr. Sanchez. She was a short kind lady. Mandi wanted to make sure that I was alright. Naturally she drew blood and examined me in more ways than I would like. "Mom, I've already had these tests done on me by Dr. Wade, I don't want my blood drawn and I am tired of being tested!" I said way too loudly for Mandi's liking. She rewarded me by adding two more days to my grounding. Then to make matters worse Coach Guyton wanted me to be cleared by the team doctor before she would allow me to return to the team. You guessed it even more tests. When the team doctor asked me my name I replied "human pincushion." For some reason, Mandi, didn't like it, but she did smile at my joke. At least I know she's got a sense of humor.

For two weeks, my life was going to doctor's appointments, going to remedial classes at school, being forced to go to church, youth group, CCD (Catholic Sunday School, but it's on Wednesday nights.), and doing chores. I got the chores once Dr. Sanchez said I was healthy, and ready. You see I wasn't allowed to watch tv, talk on the phone, not that I had anyone to call or even listen to the radio. In the Malone house if you are grounded the only fun thing you are allowed to do is read. Paul and Mandi believe in making sure you are miserable when grounded. Granted the reading part was nice. The only reading I had done recently was legal briefs and the occasional Tom Clancy or Stephen King novel. Jen asked me if I wanted to read the Harry Potter books. Jen told me that she had only seen the movies and was going to start reading the books and we somehow had two copies of each book. I agreed and quickly got hooked.

Nic who avoided being grounded saw how much fun Jen and I were having asked if she could read with us and got her own copy from Rockdale Elementary library.

"What's going in here" Mandi asked.

"Nothing Mommy we are just reading Harry Potter together" Nic beamed. "We sorta formed our own book club. My friends are so jealous."

"This doesn't violate our grounding does it" I ask.

"Not at all, Allie. I haven't heard the house this quiet in..., well to come to think of it I can't remember it being this quiet since before Mark was born. But I like that my girls are reading together."

"You like it so much that Jen and I can get off our grounding early." I say with a hopeful grin on my face."

"Nice try little girl, I like it but not that much." Mandi says with a grin. "Dinner in fifteen minutes."

When I come home from school after my first day on my new Honor schedule I find Mandi home early sitting in the living room drinking some tea. "Allie how was your day at school?

What a simple but, yet complicated question. Do I tell her the truth? Do I do the typical teenage answer it was ok? What do I say to this woman who is genuinely concerned about my day. What do I say?

Eight hours earlier... I walk into school and Mariana and Rene find their new favorite target, me. They haven't messed with Jen since I defended her two weeks ago, but as soon as they both got done with their ISS they started targeting me. YAY.

I walk to my locker trying to ignore their taunts. "Nice clothes Allie did your mom make them. Oh, that's right she does make all of your clothes. How embarrassing. How old are you? My mom hasn't made my clothes since I was three."

"Well Rene, Allie, does look like a little kid. I can't tell who is older her or her little sister since they look the same. I wonder if Allie is going to stuff her bra like her fake ass sister did," Mariana mouths off.