Chapter 20: Know When to Shut Up

"I did it! I did it! I finally passed my permit test! Now I can finally drive!" Mark comes running in the house with Dad. "It was so cool Dad even let me drive some in an old parking lot!" Mark then started showing everyone his permit.

"Congratulations Mark! What it only took you seven times to pass an easy test that Nic could pass right now. I love you, but you really are an idiot."

"Yes, Allie, I love you, but you keep forgetting to learn the lesson on when to keep your smart mouth closed," Ma says.

There are a few universal constants in the world. One, the sun will rise. Two, the homilies at mass are always boring, to the point they almost put you to sleep. Lastly, three, I cannot control what comes out of my mouth, especially if it is a smart-ass comment in class or towards Mark.

Surprisingly I managed to stay out of trouble for over a month. That's right world, no lectures, no spankings or anything for a month. Granted I more than made up for the trouble I got into the previous month.

"Allie what did I say was going to happen if you made another rude or smart mouth remark to your brother?"

"But Ma, its Mark, he really doesn't count."

"Allie!"

"You said that you'd take the spoon to my butt." I said defeated.

The spoon really does not hurt, but it does sting like Hell and makes you uncomfortable for a few hours. Just the threat of it is usually enough to keep us in line. Ma likes to use it when we are being brats. Needless to say, Mark, Nic and I usually are on the receiving end about once a week or so.

"Now go apologize to your brother, and you better mean it, or I'll take the spoon to your hide. I then want you back in here helping me cook dinner. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

One of the things I have started doing since I've been grounded is helping Ma cook dinner. In my old life I never cooked. I always got takeout or had my private chef cook for me. But it is completely different when you are cooking and tweaking recipes out. I like it because it is something that just me and Ma get to do together.

"Ma wanted me to come and apologize for being rude to you. Sorry. Congrats on the permit. Dad won't let me get mine until I'm seventeen."

"I wonder why? I wonder if it had anything to do with your two joy rides a few months ago. I take it Mom popped you with the spoon?"

"No, but she threatened me with it unlike what she did to you yesterday." I tease.

"We're good. I didn't take offense. I knew you were just busting my balls. If you hadn't said anything, then I'd think you were sick."

Mark then comes up to me puts me in a headlock and gives me a noogie.

"Ow! that hurts!"

"You better be nice, or I will tell Mom."

"You're such a jerk sometimes."

"Sometimes? I must be losing my touch I thought I was one all the time." Mark says with a smile.

Wade had to put me in a family with older brothers. Good grief.

I walk back into the kitchen and start making the spaghetti sauce following Ma's recipe.

While I'm adding and stirring in the ingredients, I reflect on my situation and family since my last joyride.

So, what do you do when everyone in your family is grounded? What do you do when both volleyball and football season is over, and nobody is allowed to use their cell phones? Because Mom and Dad has them.