Chapter 17: Report Cards

The next morning everybody passed Mom's grooming inspection. Granted Mom did make a wise crack about me wearing t-shirts all of the time. I like t-shirts and I am really not too fond of most of Lexi's old clothes they are too frilly and girly.

"Hey Mom I was wondering if Jen and I could have a slumber party on Friday and Saturday?"

"Really, I was going to ask Mom that. I think it's a great idea," Jen said backing me up.

"I am not completely against it, but I want to wait and see what your report cards say, and then we will discuss it."

"Thanks Mom."

When I get to school I see Liam standing by my locker waiting for me.

"Thank you for helping me get out of trouble with my parents."

"No big deal."

"I forgot to give you your birthday present from me at your party on Saturday."

"You didn't need to get me anything."

"I know but I wanted to." Liam then hands me a small wrapped gift Avengers wrapping paper. "Well go on open it."

I do, and it is a four disk Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live anthology.

"Lisa told me how much you like Tom Petty and everyone I know that likes him says that this is a must have album."

I can't help but have a huge smile on my face. "Thank you so much Liam this is the perfect present." I go and hug him. When I do Liam returns my hug, and I have to admit it feels nice, I like it.

"No PDA in the hall Ms. Malone, and Mr. Lewis," Coach Guyton says.

We separate just as Lisa and Jen come up to us.

"General you heard Coach Guyton no PDA, especially with a freshman, and a freshman that's my best friend," Lisa teases her brother.

Liam shakes his head, "I'm glad you like your present. I've got to get to class. Bye!"

"What was that all about," Jen asks.

"Liam wanted to give me a birthday present." I show them both what he got me.

"So you rewarded my brother with a hug?"

"It seemed like the thing do for a sweet gift."

"Yeah, but it was more than just a hug wasn't it," Jen asks?

"Maybe, its not like we kissed or anything, but it felt good hugging Liam." I felt like I was getting cross examined.

"Allie, I'm glad you two are starting to get together. Maybe if he has you to focus his energy into then he can leave me and Laura alone," Lisa says.

I find all of my classes easy except for one, Keyboarding I. It is the one class each day I dread going to because I truly suck at it. Based on everything I can tell this was the one class that Lexi excelled in. Keyboarding is my second to last class of the day and the class that gets to pass out our report cards. I think the school wants us to be miserable waiting for them. Mr. Keys waits until the last fifteen minutes of class to do so.

I pull out my report card and notice that we are given three grades in each class a traditional grade showing our progress, a grade showing our conduct and a grade showing our effort.

I took a deep breath, pulled the report card out of the sleeve and opened it saying a quick prayer before I looked at it.

CLASS GRADE                       CONDUCT              EFFORT