viii| Convenientiae

"Your words didn't mean to heal the hurt
Were coincidentally more than enough."

octo

octo.

convenientiae

a feeling of sympathy and friendship; like-mindedness.

════════

"SO, WHAT'S THE COMPLICATED STORY BETWEEN THE TWO OF YOU?" OLIVIA ASKED US AS SHE TOOK A BITE OF HER PIZZA.

We were currently sat in a booth at Pizza Hut, Olivia and Tyler sat adjacent to us. We ended up ordering one huge pizza to share between the four of us. Chase was sweet enough to pick two pizza slices for me with the least toppings and discreetly take off what remained because he knew I liked my pizza plain, before he handed it back to me. I had made it through one slice whilst the boys were on their third and Olivia was on her second.

"Story?" I repeated. "I don't think there is a story. We grew up together and we were best friends when we were younger but we drifted apart when we got to secondary school but now we're friends again," I explained as if it were the most simple story on earth.

"You missed out the part where you dated his best friend for a few years," Tyler interjected.

"A few years? That's a pretty long time, especially considering you're so young," Olivia observed.

"They started going out when they were about fourteen," Chase explained.

"And they broke up recently. Well, she broke up with him," Tyler added.

"Oh wow. I'm so sorry," Olivia apologised as I shook my head.

"It was for the best," I responded, not entirely paying attention to the conversation but to the food in front of me.

"So my brother has been going out with you for an entire year and told approximately nobody. Did you do the same?" Chase asked Liv as she laughed.

I don't know if it was obvious to Liv or Tyler what Chase had been doing by asking the question, but I knew he wanted to keep the conversation going in order to distract the couple in front of us so that he could get my attention.

As Tyler and Olivia began playfully arguing about who's fault the secret relationship was, Chase tucked a few strands of my hair behind my ear, not saying anything because he knew he didn't need to.

I nodded responding to his non-verbal actions, hesitantly placing my hand on top of his. I don't know why I did it but for some reason everything felt slightly easier when I was in physical contact with Chase.