xxv| Reminiscor

"Hey, remember when I told you
That you and I, we'd go down in history together."

viginti quinque

viginti quinque.

reminiscor

Indulge in a recollection of past events.

════════

FINISHED REVISING? WANT TO COME OVER?
- CHASE

I can't today. I'll make it up to you.
- Lise

You said that last time
- Chase

Just make a list of demands
- Lise

You don't want to put that much power in my hands...
- Chase

Bye.
- Lise

I turned my phone off and held it tightly in my hand as I waited patiently in the kitchen.

"Annalise, honey, have I told you how beautiful you look?" Nate's mum smiled politely to me as she handed me a glass of water. "Are you sure you don't want wine?"

I looked down at my burgundy dress and smiled, using my other hand to straighten out any creases, "thank you for the water," I responded in the same, kind, manner.

"Go take a seat, dinner is almost ready," she instructed. I nodded, following her instructions as I walked to the dining room, sitting in the seat besides Nate, across his father who was blissfully holding a newspaper, ignoring our existence.

"Thanks for coming," Nate whispered to me, occasionally glancing at his father to see if he had gained any attention from him.

"No problem," I responded, feeling my phone vibrate as I opened to check the message.

Bye, beautiful
- Chase

I knew Nate had glanced over my shoulder to see who the text was from, obvious through the way he threw his head back in slight annoyance. After a moment or so after, Mr Black finally put the newspaper down and acknowledged my existence.

"Annalise, it's been a while, it's nice to see you," Mr Black started, nodding my way as he waited for the food to arrive.

It wasn't long after that Nate's mother carried the food in, asking us to help ourselves to the lasagne in front of us. Nate was the one who served me, placing a slight amount of food on my plate initially, looking me directly in the eyes as he did so, almost asking for permission about how much food I wanted on my plate. It was in that moment that I realised I had forgotten how well he knew me.