Chapter 15

Abigail paced back and force, a dilemma tearing through her mind.  

"No, I shouldn't." She said. 

"Go." He said, looking out the window. 

"Should I?" 

"That all depends on you, doesn't it?" He told her. 

Abigail stared at the black automobile parked outside the gates. 

This might be the last time she'll ever see Miranda. 

"Go." he said, seeing the longing in her eyes. 

She ran out the door, just before the car was about to depart. 

Miranda yelled for the driver to stop the car, and ran to her daughter. She was terribly sorry about their last encounter. 

She pulled the thin girl into her arms. 

"Forgive me, daughter." She said, tears flowing from her heavily made-up eyes. 

"Good bye, mamma." Abigail said, trying hard to hold back the tears in her own eyes.  

"Please forgive me, my darling. If I could, I would choose you." 

"And you can, Mamma. I forgive you. Just take me, and tom, away. I forgive you, mamma." she begged. 

"I can't, baby. I'm so sorry." 

"And why not?" Abigail asked. 

Miranda bent down, to level height with her daughter's face, and stared into those hazel eyes.  

"There are two types of people, Abi. Those who have it all handed to them, and those who have to give up things. I've done things. terrible, horrible, sinful things I'll go to hell for. Why? because I don't have anything handed to me. Because I never had a choice." 

"Why, mamma?" Abigail sobbed, unable to control her tears. 

"I don't know, darling. I don't know. Maybe the angels wanted it to be this way. Not everything is a choice, Abi. You'll grow up, and you'll learn this. Sometimes, you have to make sacrifices." 

"So you sacrifice me?" 

Miranda looked down. She doesn't want to think of it that way, but the idea pressed into her heart, making it bleed.  

"No, darling. You are not a sacrifice. You're better off without me, trust me. I don't want you to end up like me." 

"How so?" 

"You're too young to understand." She laughs.  "but I'm what they call a 'whore.'"

"You are not." 

Miranda shakes her head.  

"I am. And I don't want you to end up like that. There's not much I can give you, but I can give you this. " Miranda hands her a necklace. 

"What is this?" 

"I belonged to your father. I remember him. He used a fake name, of course, but he left this here." 

"What do you want me to do?" 

"Find him, darling. Find him." 

The necklace was heavy. Pewter, perhaps. A dim gold, embellished only by a small blue crystal placed in the center, with the letter R carved onto the back of the circle. The chain was rusting, bits of brown peeking through the thin pewter plating.  

"How?" She asked, staring at the necklace.

"I don't know darling. Thats up to you, isn't it?"  

"How?" Abigail asked again. 

Miranda stared in her daughter's eyes one last time

"I believe the angels will guide you, my Abi."