Chapter 41

"You're going home with Gabriel for Christmas?" Tom Riddle asked, his voice tinted with skepticism. 

"It's really none of your business." She replied, not looking directly at him. 

He laughed his cold, empty laugh. She would go with Gabriel to the Home where Tom Riddle should belong. He clenched his fists at the thought of Gabriel being so close to her. She was his, and his alone. How he hated Gabriel Delacrioux. 

Tom Riddle would not forget his mother's death in the cold winter snow, and his father's cold hearted betrayal. 

But he was confident enough that she only loved him. So he let her go. He found that it was sometimes best to let the prey go free and give her the false impression of freedom.  

"Well, Merry Christmas, my Abigail." He said, and left her standing in the hallway, unable to move. He called her my Abigail. My Abi. And she secretly  loved it. His voice was so smooth, almost like a haunting lyric of song. A dark, beautiful melody.  

"Merry Christmas, Tom." She whispered after him, meaning every word. She prayed every night that he might be happy again. Truly happy, no longer hiding behind a fake smile. She wished he might turn back. That he might stop in his tracks down the reckless path and turn around, and go with her back to the right one. She prayed to the angels that Tom Riddle might have redemption for his sins. Forgiveness for the blood on his hands, and the darkness in his heart. She prayed before she went to sleep that he might tame the monster in his head. 

She forgave him. She forgave him for all the hurt, and she would do it over again.  

She packed her bags, and headed onto the train with Gabriel. He walked close to her, as if guarding her. They passed by the Slytherins' compartment, and she met Tom Riddle's dark eyes for a brief moment, before she forced herself to pull away.  

"Come sit with me and my friends." Gabriel offered. 

"I wanna say goodbye to Sam and Cassie first, Gabe." 

"But-"

"Come on, captain, you'll see me all day over break, before you know it, you'll be so sick of seeing my face." She told him, before slipping into Sam and Cassie's compartment. 

Cassie looked at her friend, and began to feel a little odd. But she put it aside.

"So...Abigail. Meeting the parents already, eh? " Sam jested. 

"It's not like that! You guys know that. We're really just good friends." 

"Like how you and Tom Riddle were just "good friends?" 

"No. not exactly." She responded.  

"Oh Abi! You're soon lucky! I want you to take notes of every detail, and immediately report back to me after break. I need to know EVERYTHING. All about Gabriel's house, his family, his habits, his pets..." Cassie went on. 

"Merlin, woman. Stop pestering poor innocent Abigail for you obsession." Sam said, brushing her off jokingly.  

"Wait-I forgot to ask, Sam. Where were you at the Ball? I barely saw you. Who were you with the whole time?" Abigail asked. 

"yeah, Sam. Where were you? I saw Bella Brown practically fuming. Let me tell you, the girl was MAD at you. Where did you go? I wanted to look for you, but couldn't find you." Cassie added.  

Sam blushed a little at the thought of that night. 

"Well...um. I was in the garden, you know, needing some air and stuff."