Chapter 38 Winter Ball Part 1

One week before the Ball.....

............................

Abigail and Cassie went back to the dress shop in Hogshead, searching around for something she could maybe wear. 

"What are you looking for, dear?" A short blonde witch in spectacles injured, smiling at her.  

"Well....I'm sort of on a budget..." Abigail muttered. 

"No problem, dear. Here's the sales rack, beautiful gowns at a reasonable price. You could also do part-payments if you'd like, dear, for a more pricey gown." 

"Thank you." Abigail told her. She looked to the sales rack, joined by Cassie. 

"Abi, for heaven's sake! You're going with Gabriel Delacrioux. I'm sure buying you a gown is  piece of cake for someone like him. Just tell him about the situation." Cassie suggested, seeing the agony in Abigail's eyes at the still-hefty price tags.   

"No. I'm don't want to bother him with this..." Abigail muttered. She did not want to feel like a charity case.  

"I can help you pay for it, Abi." Cassie offered. Abi gently shook her head. She did not want to burden her friend. 

"Dear? I have a suggestion for you." The blonde sales associate said to Abigail, seeing her severely limited budget.  "Come to the back." 

They followed the sales associate to the backroom, where gowns were stored. All sorts of fabrics and gowns hung were on racks, folded on tables, and kept in tight plastic packages.  

She pulled a dress out. It was a beautiful deep purple chiffon fabric, however, it was ripped at the neckline and had a few loose threads. 

"This is an older gown. Damaged, too. But it's very workable, and I can offer you a very good price for it. It's a bit big for you, dear, but I'm sure you can get creative with it." 

Abigail felt the gentle fabric between her fingers. It was damaged, yes, but it's her best chance. She nodded, feeling new hope rise in her. She was a crafty girl. Cassie could help her. Perhaps they could make it work.

They went back, so excited. They cut the dress. Fix the neckline, and made it more fitting to Abigail's thin figure. Cassie even used a charms spell to sprinkle the dress with gold glitter.  

"You'll look so beautiful, Abi." Cassie gasped. Sam clapped in agreement. 

"Go Abi!" he cried.  

Penny, in another corner of the room, rolled her eyes. 

.................................................... 

Cassie came in screaming.  

"Someone asked me! Thomas Wattaker asked me!" She cried, excited. Abigail hugged her friend. 

"I was getting scared, you know." Cassie panted. "I though I would have to go alone."  

"I'm happy for you, Cass." Sam said, clasping his hands together. 

"What about you, Sammy? do you have a date yet?" Abigail asked. 

Sam sighed.  

"I-I asked Bella Brown. I guess we're going together." Sam replied, shrugging. 

"Why the sigh? do you not want to go with her?" 

"No. It's just that-nevermind. Bella's a nice girl, it'll be fun." 

"Oh, guys! I'm so excited!" Cassie cried, almost with tears in her eyes. "And Abi! Oh! everyone will be looking at you tomorrow night. You better show them!"