Chapter 39 Winter Ball Part 2

"Shall we?" Gabriel asked, offering her his arm. She smiled, taking it. 

She searched the crowd for the face. 

Ah, there he was. Tom Riddle, standing in the center of a group, mesmerizing everyone with his charm. 

Mesmerizing her with his cold, deep blue gaze. 

He locked eyes with her. She wanted to avoid his eyes, but she found herself unable to let go. Instead, she decided to cling on tighter to Gabriel, as if to shield herself from Riddle. 

"You look so beautiful." Gabriel said, his cheeks turning red. 

"So do you." Abigail said. 

"I look beautiful? Thanks. But really, I-I would love to dance right now." He said to her. He took her by the waist, and began to swing her around the dance floor. 

He stared at her, feeling as if it were all a beautiful, mystical dream. Her doe-deer eyes. Her small hands, secure and warm in his. His arms, wrapped around her petite body. Her dress, shining like a dream in the dimming candlelight. He held her a little closer than he should have. 

Tom Riddle felt rage rise in him once again. He thought he could do it. He thought he could watch by, but he could not. He clenched his fists, losing a little bit of his charming composure. 

She lost herself in the evening. The snow, the candles, the crystal chandelier. She wanted Tom Riddle to see that she could live without him. 

But oh, she just wanted Tom to see her.  

................................................ 

Sam ventured along into the gardens in the back. He needed some time away from his date. She was obviously very interested in him, but he could not return the feeling. 

He felt as if he should like her. She was very pretty, and a year older. 

But he felt strange, being so close to her. It did not feel pleasant. There were no butterflies, only restrictions. 

He loosened his bow tie, feeling flustered and suddenly needing the cool night air. He took a sip of his water. He sat down on a marble bench, not knowing how to feel or how to act. 

He heard a shuffling noise in the bushes, and turned around.  

It was Miles Avery, very drunk and stumbling alone around in the bushes.   

"You alright?" Sam asked. 

"Water-give me your water." He said, sitting down. 

"here." Sam said, handing Avery his glass of water.  

Avery gulped it down in one sitting, and choked a little, coughing. 

Sam didn't really know what to do except awkwardly pat him on the back. 

"Um. You okay?" He asked. Avery shook his head. 

"Fuck. I think I'm going to be-" and with that, he hurled, all over Sam's shoes. 

"Oh my-" Sam gasped. 

"Sorry." Avery muttered, panting. "Here, mate." He removed his jacket and handed it to Sam. 

"I can't do that! It's a perfectly good jacket! Italian wool blend, a shame." Sam protested, not wanting to wipe vomit off his shoes with an Italian suit. He removed his shoes and put them aside. 

Avery shook his head. "I feel so gross. Shouldn't have taken so many drinks. " 

"Why? Not having a good time?" Sam asked.