Chapter 78

Rumors always spread through Hogwarts like a wildfire, especially one of such high caliber.

Soon, the halls were filled with whispers.

As Sam walked through them, he tried his best to shut them out. Yet, they were still there, ringing in his year, taunting him. For years, he had been made fun of for being small, skinny, and jeered at by some as being "queer." But at the time, those were all jokes; now, they were accusations rooted in rumor.

And in the minds of teenagers, rumors were just facts before they became official.

"Fag." Another voice whistled. Sam lowered his head and started walking faster.

"Stop! Hey! I'm talking to you!" Rosier yelled, grabbing his shoulder. Lestrange laughed.

"He's shy." Lestrange taunted.

"Shy? I don't think so. Going around slandering Avery like that. As if Miles even knows your name, queer." Rosier jeered.

"Knock it off..." Sam said feebly.

"What did you say?"

"Just..please. I need to get to class."

They laugh. "We're not fucking done with you yet. Why the fuck are you spreading these rumors about you and Miles?"

"I-I didn't spread them. Why would I do that?" Sam, exclaimed.

"I dunno...because you like him?"

"Yea, I bet he has a weird crush or something on Miles." Rosier chimed in, snickering. "Fuckin' weirdo." 

He shoved Sam, and Sam stumbled backwards.  

"What the...." Sam blurted out, angry and hurt. 

Rosier rolled his eyes. "Don't fucking go around and talk shit about our friends like that again, freak."

"Wh-what do you mean? Stop! I-didn't-"

Sidenote: One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard

A punch to his face, and as soon as impact hit, Sam tasted blood in his mouth, and stumbled onto the cold stone floor. 

"Shut the fuck up when I'm talking to you." Lestrange snarled, wiggling out his fist.   

Before he could take another swing, however, another hand stopped him. It was Avery, who had just seen as he walked by. Someone told him that his friends had whisked Sam away, and instantly, he knew that something was wrong. 

"Fucking stop it. Apologize." Avery said through gritted teeth.  His hand over Lestrange's fist.  

"He's literally the prick ruining your reputation, mate. Why are you defending him?"

"I said stop it." Avery said firmly. Sam stood there, hot blood in his mouth, but warmth growing inside his core. He knows that Avery chose to walk away....but he hoped that deep down, Avery still cared.  

"What are you like...into him or something?" Rosier joked, punching Avery's arm playfully.  

Avery glared at him. "Just leave, guys. Please." Avery offered Sam a hand, and Sam took it. 

"I don't need you to help me." Sam said softly. "I can manage fine on my own. I don't want to bother you."

Avery looked around to make sure no one was near, then, he put a hand on Sam's cheek and wiped the blood away.