Chapter 19

"What would you give up for him?" 

"Everything." 

"Everything?"

"Absolutely."

............................................  

Recap: Penny, the red-headed girl who bullied Abigail at the orphanage, is also a witch, and she enters her first year, along with Abigail.

Miranda is Abigail's mother, who has left to the Americas, leaving Abigail only with a Necklace left by her unknown father.

.............................................

Abigail still searched the halls for him. For that one face, for that melancholy half-smile. 

She would see him, always surrounded by a group, and always the center of it all. Tom Riddle truly blossomed here, into what he was always destined for. 

The leader. 

Every so often, there would be a pretty girl on his arm, smiling, flirting, and a piece of Abigail's heart would break off into little white pieces, right there on the ancient stone floor. She remembers the time she jumped into the ocean, him catching her. 

He promised. He promised they would do it together, no matter what. Everything. Yet here, in this new, exciting yet unfamiliar place, she was utterly lost without him. 

Although their days at the orphanage were miserable, at least there, she could hold on to him.  

Had he forgotten? 

No. Tom Riddle would never forget anything. 

That night, under the warmth of blankets and the fireplace, tears streamed down her cheeks, dripping down onto her nightgown, staining it with trails of salt。 

Had she lost him too? 

Miranda's leave still haunted her deeply. The shattering of her lifelong hope hit her hard, straight onto the jagged rocks of the unforgiving deep blue sea. 

She still wore the necklace Miranda gave her around her neck, the one with her father's initials carved.   

"Um, You okay?" A voice called, interrupting her thoughts. 

It was Cassie. 

Abigail quickly wiped her eyes. 

"Yeah. I'm fine. Not feeling too great today. Must be the weather." She replied quickly. 

"Do they train you too hard at quidditch? If you need a break, you should take it." Cassie said, sitting up in the four-poster bed across. 

"Maybe. It's a little difficult sometimes, but I love it. " Abigail said, sniffling. 

" Come on. You can tell me if anything's wrong. It's not good to keep it bottled in, you know. Just let it out. I won't tell, I swear." Cassie urged. 

Abigail shook her head. Where would she even begin? It was too touchy to talk about. If she just mentioned his name, she would burst into tears again. She did not want to embarrass herself in front her new friend. Besides, who would believe her? Who was Tom Riddle, and who was she? Unimaginable.  

"Well, I'm here if you want to talk."  

"Have you ever....have you ever had someone you wanted to see, but didn't want to see you?" Abigail asked in the dark, her voice small. 

Cassie laughed. "Yes. Gabriel Delacrioux." 

"Be serious. I'm asking you." Abigail said. 

"Not really. Who are you talking about?"