Chapter 23

"I love her and that was the beginning and end of everything." 

-F. Scott Fitzgerald  

............................................. 

At breakfast, she ran, head on, straight into Tom Riddle, spilling the contents of her cup all over his robes. 

Avery laughs. 

"Isn't this the little Gryffindor seeker? How was the fall? Did it hurt?" 

Tom Riddle glares at him, and he instantly shut his mouth. 

"I-I'm so sorry, Tom." She mumbles. 

He picks up the cup and places it in her hand. 

"Be careful." He says indifferently, walking away, followed by his entourage.   

With the sharp sweep of his black robes, he was gone. 

The fall was intentional. She could no longer bear the though of his abandoning her, leaving her. All her life, he's been the only home she's ever know, the only solace among a sea of dark waters. 

He had been her everything. 

What happened? What changed? 

Was a year enough to forget a lifetime of dependance, of promise? 

They were not friends. They were not young lovers. They were beyond those conventions, two souls that linked, intertwined, and leaned on each other. 

Together, they went through the unspeakable, the unimaginable.  

Could a bond so strong be broken by the short span of a year? 

Abigail didn't believe it.  

She demanded an answer. 

That day, she searched for him among the crowd. However, Tom Riddle's hiding skills were still sharp as ever. 

When he did want to be found, no one could.   

She finally caught in the garden, walking around with the pretty brunette he had been with earlier. 

Shirley Maple. 

Tom saw Abigail heading his way, and understood that there was no avoiding her protruding, pained gaze this time.  He signaled for Shirley go on without him. 

Shirley shot Abigail a pointed glare, and stormed off, chest held high. 

"What do you need?" He asked coldly, straight to the point. 

"What do I want? What do I want, Tom Riddle? Have you gone out of your mind?" She says, unable to contain herself. For the past two months, she held it all in, channeling it only into tears and nightmares. This was release. Tom Riddle felt taken aback. She had never yelled at him, ever. 

"Go on." He said curtly. 

"Why are you ignoring me? Did I do something wrong?" She asks, tears flowing into her hazel eyes. 

He does not reply, simply looking at her in his meaningful, darkly cryptic gaze. 

"Tom, please. If there's anything, we can talk about it. We're best friends, remember?" She begs, her eyes wide, not understanding his apathetic demeanor. 

"Is that all?" He asks, not a trace of feeling in his deepening voice. 

She looks at him in utter disbelief. He looks back, compeltely expressionless.   

"Is that all, Abigail?" He asks politely, giving her the slightest of smiles. 

His smile, real or counterfeit, was as glorious as ever.