Chapter 74

Cassie decided that she would have him, no matter what. 

She kept that thought in her mind as she went back to her dorm and fetched the box she had kept under her bed. She opened it, and took out the potion she had brewed. 

"Cass-" Sam called, standing in the doorway. Cassie stumbled, and dropped the bottle to the ground.  

"Cass....." Sam gasped in horror. "Is that a...love potion?" He asked, seeing the color and consistency. He knew it well enough, potions being his best subject. 

She sighed. "Yes."

"What are you doing with it? You know that they're really dangerous, right? If you get caught, you can be expelled." Sam urged. 

"I-I'm..." Cassie tried to come up with an excuse, but she decided that she was tired of it. Sam was her friend, wasn't he? She didn't want to hide anymore. Lately, she felt the distance pull between them. Penny was a good friend, but she was taunting, cold, tacit, and she wasn't anywhere close to Sam.  

"I want to tell you something, Sam. But you have to promise me to keep it a secret. Especially from Abigail." 

Sam hesitated for a second. Lately, he sensed that there was something off between Cassie and Abigail. He knew that Cassie still had feelings for Gabriel, even though she always said that she did not care to Abigail's face.  

"Is it about...him?" Sam asked, not wanting to believe himself. Cassie would never do something like that, he thought. A love potion sounded innocent enough, but the intent behind it was terrifying. Mind control, taking someone captive against their will. It scared Sam to think that Cassie might be capable of that. 

Cassie hesitated again, looking down at the floor. "Yes." She replied, not wanting to see the look of horror on Sam's face. 

"Why?" Sam asked. 

"Because I love him! because I love him, and this is a last resort, Sam. There's so much that you don't know...." She trailed off, finally coming to a well of emotion. 

"What don't I know? Cass-"

"I was pregnant, Sam. After that night at the party, I got pregnant. And he asked me to get rid of it. He doesn't give a flying fuck about me, Sam...she's the only one he's ever had eyes for. You don't know, Sam. You don't know how much it hurts that the person you love loves another." 

Sam stumbled, unable to process the shocking information. 

Cassie laughed coldly. "I was going to have his baby, Sam. We were going to be together forever, then she came in and ruined everything. She's fucking ruined everything! All this time, she claims to be my friend, yet she stole him from me, behind my back...Sam, I wish you would see her for who she truly is. A whore. A liar." Cassie said, the lines of her mouth harsh. 

The look in her eye scared Sam. "Thats not true." He said, shaking his head furiously. "You're scaring me, Cass. Please..."

"I'm scaring you? You don't know how scary it is to wake up all alone on a hospitable bed and find that they've killed your baby. I didn't want that. It was my baby, my child. I felt it grow inside of me, Gabriel's child! I hate her, Sam. I'm suffering, and it's all because of her. She's playing us all, can't you see? I need him, and she just wants to keep him away from me." 

"Cass...please don't do this. You don't have to do this. A love potion? He won't really love you like this. He won't treat you the way you deserve, and you won't be happy. Listen to me, pleas-" Sam begged.  

"I saw them together today, Sam. I saw them together, and my heart broke. Everything I've gone through for him, and she still takes him away from me...I hate her now. Sam, please be on my side, please." She pleaded, tears in her eyes.