Chapter 28

Note: Since I haven't updated in a while, let me just refresh y'all on some details. 

Cassie: Abigail's friend and roommate. The one that likes Gabriel Delaciorux (Gryffindor golden boy, quidditch captain).

Sam: Abigail's friend. 

Penny: Mean orphanage girl who also got into Hogwarts. She'll be more important later on. 

..............................................

She will fall. 

                       Forever. 

.......................................... 

That melancholy September, Hogwarts rolled into rhythm as always. 

Abigail boarded the train alone, lost. Penny sneered at her, laughing at the girl. 

Tom Riddle was, of course, with his entourage again. They were laughing at something hilarious he had just said. 

"Abigail!" Cassie waved, welcoming Abigail to their compartment. Sam sat inside already, snacking on a pumpkin pasty. 

"Abi!" Sam greeted, his mouth still full, causing bits of the patty to fly into the air. 

"Ew." Cassie said, rolling her eyes. Abigail laughed. She hadn't laughed too much that summer, it was good to see her friends again.  

"You look so thin. Do they feed you?" Cassie asked, taking in Abigail. 

"Only because they have too." Abigail replied, which was not too far off from the truth.  

"So...how is Tom Riddle? Did you two spend the whole summer together?" Sam asked, playfully nudging Abigail with his elbow.  

Abigail's smile dimmed. 

"Let's not talk about him." She said, not wanting to strike the sore topic again. 

"Oh....I see. Fighting? Don't worry it's completely  normal." Cassie said. 

"We're...we're not exactly fighting. And he's just an old friend, guys. Don't make such a big deal out of it." 

"BIG DEAL? He's the Tom Riddle, for heaven's sake. How many girls would love to be in your place, Abi? Me, for example. He's number two on my to do list." Cassie said, followed by a wink. 

"To do list? You naughty... I'll tell Gabriel you're cheating on him." Sam laughed, pretending to slap Cassie.    

Abigail laughed along weakly, trying to enjoy herself. 

........................... 

"You! Stay after." Gabriel yelled, calling after Abigail when the team disbanded to go back to their dorms after practice. 

Abigail turns around, surprised. Ever since Tom Riddle had punched Gabriel in the face in her defense, Gabriel, perhaps out of anger, barely spoke to her.  

"Gabriel?" She said, standing still. 

He walked up to her. She looked different than the frail girl he had seen  three months ago. The summer sun had sprinkled a trail of freckles across her once-porcelain cheeks. She had grown, and not just in height.  

"You don't have to come tomorrow morning." He told her flatly. 

"What do you mean? Are we not having practice?" 

He sighed. "You're off the team, Abigail." 

She stumbled a little, shocked. "What? Why?" She demanded an answer. 

"You're a liability to the team." He said. 

"Why? What have I done wrong? I-I know I didn't have the best season last year. But-but I can be better! I can train better! I'm not injured anymore, I can take it!" She pleaded. Now that Tom Riddle is gone from her life once again, quidditch is the only thing keeping her distracted and sane.  

"Maybe try out for the Slytherin team. They have tryouts tomorrow. I'm sure your friends can get you in." Gabriel said cuttingly.  

Then she finally realized why Gabriel wanted to kick her off the team. The injured pride of a prince, of course. 

"Is this what it's about?" She asked softly. 

"About what?" He asked innocently. 

"What happened-um, with him. I'm sorry, Gabriel. I know I never properly apologized to you. And I'm really sorry, I really am. It won't ever happen again." Abigail said. the last sentence hit her hard. It won't ever happen again. Will he ever care again? Care enough?  

"Oh please, don't apologize. Wouldn't want you boyfriend coming out here again, would we?" Gabriel snarled. 

The harshness and sarcasm in his voice resembled the cold tone of that certain someone. 

"I'm sorry." She said weakly, unable to raise her voice at the thought of a summer past and him

Gabriel cocked his head sideways, feeling slightly thrown off by her reaction. Was he being too harsh? Of course not. He was being truthful, after all. Why was she so damn delicate? 

"Merlin... Ok then. I'm sorry Abigail. Don't cry. Just don't. "

"Wasn't going to." She told him. 

"Good. Good. Don't come to practice tomorrow." He reminded one last time, turned around, and left.  

Tom Riddle stood in a darkened corner, a new thought forming in his brilliantly twisted mind. 

.......................................................... 

"Avery!" Abigail called, waving down the lanky blond boy. 

"Abigail? How've you been? haven't seen you in ages. I heard you got kicked out of the Gryffindor team?" 

She smiled weakly. "Yes, I did. Avery can-" 

"Good. they sucked, anyways. You were the only halfway decent one there. You joining us at Three Broomsticks later?" 

"No. Not today. I just wanted to ask...how's Tom been feeling? Is he...in a good mood today?" She asked. She hoped to repair their relations again. However, when Tom Riddle wanted to avoid someone, he could never be found. Just like hide and seek of the old times. 

"Oh. I see. He's alright. He's right there, actually. I you want to talk to him." Avery points across the yard to Riddle, leaning on a column, a dark smirk plastered on his face. 

"Tom!" She yelled out, walking to him. 

"Abi." He said curtly, uncrossing his arms. He signaled Avery to go away. 

"So you're talking to me again?" She asked hopefully, like a child who had just received stern punishment. 

"Silly girl. Want to come to Three-Broomsticks?" He simply asked. She smiled, relief rushing through her. 

"You're not mad anymore?" 

"Was I ever." he remarked, more a statement than a question. 

She resisted the urge to hug him.