Chapter 52

We are just slaves to the chains of love. All of us...

-Anonymous 

.........................................................

Penny showed her the picture. 

Cassie threw it to the ground. 

"Its not true." She said, shaking her head furiously. "It can't be. You're a fucking liar!"

Penny rolled her eyes. "I'm really trying to help you, Cassie. Stop being such a bitch and face the facts please." 

"Abigail would never do this to me. She knows I'm in love with him." She assured herself. 

Penny laughed. "I saw them with my own eyes, Penny. At Hogsmeade, kissing. I even took a picture, darling. What more do you want? Do you want to catch them in the act to believe me?" 

"It's not true!" Cassie cried, ripping the photo into shreds. 

Penny grabbed her shoulders and shook her. "Pathetic. Look at yourself. She's out here screwing him and you call her your best friend. Pathetic." 

Cassie pried her fingers off. "It's not like that. She would never do this. She's innocent." 

"Is she, Cass? Is she really? You don't know her like I do. How do you think she has both of them? She's a manipulating whore, that's how. She's taken it all away from you and you can't even see it. Time to wake up." 

Cassie sat there, dumbfounded. How could Abigail do this to her? She had always know who Cassie felt about Gabriel...especially after the night at the party. In her mind, she already had a claim on him, and Abigail knew this. How could Abigail lie to her face and claim she doesn't like Gabriel? How could she....Cassie wanted to deny it, but the evidence to her was overwhelming. Penny  waited patiently for Cassie to connect the dots. 

"Ask her yourself then, if you don't trust me." Penny said, and left Cassie to her own thoughts.  

Cassie ran. She ran through the castle frantically. She needed to hear Abigail say otherwise right now.  

She found Abigail sitting on her bed, reading a book. She shook her frantically. 

"Tell me it's not true! Tell me..." Cassie cried. Abigail sat frozen, unable to answer. She did not want to lie. She couldn't do it.  

"I-I'm sorry Cass." Abigail said quietly. She wanted to tell Cassie the truth, but she could not tell the whole truth. Cassie might hate her for this, but Abigail had to take it for Tom Riddle.  "But know that I would never hurt you." 

Cassie shook her head. "But you already did!" She yelled, pushing Abigail away. "You always knew how I felt about him!" 

Abigail began to cry, caught in this hopeless dilemma. "I'm so sorry, Cass. I'll try to make it up to you, I promise..." 

"Make it up to me? How? You lied to me, Abigail. You fucking lied to my face. You said you didn't like him...you fucking promised me." 

"I-I didn't mean to..."

"Don't you have enough already? Isn't Tom Riddle enough for you? Why do you have to take what's mine too? Right after what happened...are you trying to rub it in my face?" Cassie cried.  

"Forgive me..." Abigail sobbed. 

Cassie shook her head. "I'm so disappointed in you. You were like a sister to me. Now you've stabbed me in the back!" 

"You are my sister, Cass. You always will be." Abigail said. 

Cassie laughed coldly. "No. You know what? Penny was right. She was right about you all along and I was too stupid to listen."