Chapter 86

"Gabe! Gabe!" Peter Lin called, seeing Gabriel walking back to his dorm. Nate Schnider ran up to Gabriel and grabbed him by the shoulder.

"Hey guys." Gabriel greeted flatly.

"We've been looking for you, mate. You can't avoid us forever."  

Gabriel sighed. 

"Where have you been, man?" Nate asked. " After...you know...your father...I've barely seen you. You barely even go to class anymore."

"What's the point of going to class, mate? I've learned nothing there." Gabriel chuckled, leaning against the door.

"You're clearly not okay, man...look..if you want to talk, we're here. Me and the guys are really worried about you." Peter said, placing a hand on his shoulder.    

"I'm great. I've got a great girlfriend, and I'm good. Don't be worried about me." 

"Cassie? I don't know about her, mate...she's kind of strange, to be honest. How did you guys even get together anyway?" Nate added. 

"You know...how people get together...we had a good night together, and we hit it off."

"What happened with Abi-" Peter began, but stopped as he saw the expression on Gabriel's face. "Sorry...If you don't want to talk about it, its fine."

"There's practice after lunch. Wanna come, captain? We've missed you." Nate said. 

"You have to come back, Gabe. We have a game in two weeks...the team isn't the same without you."  

"I'll pass, guys...sorry." He had lost the zeal he once had for the sport. 

The thought of getting back out there on the field no longer piqued his interest. What was the point, anyway? They would lose like they always did.  

He felt as if he wasn't even good at the one thing he really cared about. 

He couldn't stand to let everyone down another time...

Perhaps it was time to hang up the broom.

"I'm quitting." He said. "I wasn't even a good captain anyways."

"WHAT? The fuck did you say?" Peter cried, taken aback. 

"I-I I can't do it anymore. I'm sure everyone will be fine without me."

"You don't mean that mate. I know you're upset. I know it's been a rough year...but you can't just quit quidditch. Its-its literally been the thing that you've always liked, remember? Whenever you were upset, we would throw around a few tosses and strategize, and you'll feel alright again..." 

"Things change, Pete."

"Not this. After we graduate, we're both gonna try out for the Chudley Cannons, right? We'll start as backups, but one day, you'll be the star keeper, and I'll be their beater. We'll take the quidditch world by storm and become the-"

 "The greatest fuckin' duo in quidditch history." Nate interrupted, chuckling. "We've all heard this before." 

"We've been planning this since we were kids, Gabe."

"I'm really sorry, Pete...I am." He took out his captain's badge from his pocket. 

Since he had received it as a second year, he carried it around with him always. 

He had broken Hogwarts history by becoming the youngest captain ever...

He always carried it in his pocket with pride, as a source of eternal motivation. No matter how early he had to wake up or how cold it was outside, this badge made it all worthwhile... 

"I know that you've always wanted this...you'll be better than me, trust me." He said, handing it to Peter.  

Peter pressed it back into his hand. "No. You don't know what you're doing. This isn't like you at all." 

"People change, I guess..." Gabriel said quietly. "I-I think I'm going to go for a walk. I need some air."

"Wait! Gabe!"  

"Gabriel Delacrioux! We're not done yet-" 

His friends called after him, but he only had the courage to walk away. 

He wanted to stay. A part of him desperately wanted to be with them again. To be carefree with them, to laugh, to get into a little trouble, to laugh a little more. 

To go to a party and not be reminded of what went on at parties. Of people he met, and became entangled with, at those parties. 

To drink, but not to drown in liquor. To drink a little, but not until whiskey became his best and only friend. 

To fly through the air with wings outspread.

To run forward to the light of tomorrow, careless, hopeful.  

He closed his eyes. 

He had secrets he could never tell...just thinking about them hurts him. 

He had more pills in his pockets, and this time, he took three. 

Bliss.

Tranquility.

Now he could actually relax and forget, just for two hours, the blade that was pressing on his heart.