Chapter 63

"Wake up, Young master." Nana, a house elf called. Gabriel rubbed his eyes groggily, immediately feeling the hangover headache kick in.

He had spent the last few days drinking away by himself, wanting to drown away the sorrow and loneliness. 

He thought now that Anna was not here, his father might step in and comfort him. For once, talk to him, listen to him, pay attention to him. But no. Marvolo was more absent than ever.  

"Get out." He said, throwing a pillow over his face to block out the sunlight. 

"Master Delaciroux instructed that Nana wake you up at once! He needs you in the dining hall for breakfast right away." 

Perhaps Marvolo was finally ready to talk and to reach out. He felt a tiny sliver of hope rise. 

He hastily put on a robe, took a drink of water, and headed downstairs.  

Never in a million years would he expect to see who sat there, right next to Marvolo.

Tom Riddle, a smirk on his face, coffee cup in hand. 

"Join us, Gabriel." Marvolo instructed. A house self pulled the chair out for Gabriel. 

"What the hell?" Was the first thing that blurted out of his mouth. What was Tom Riddle doing here, right after a family tragedy, sitting on their breakfast table so nonchalantly as if he belonged there all along?   

Marvolo looked at Gabriel disapprovingly. "Sit down." 

"What is he doing here?" Gabriel asked, looking at Riddle's smug smirk. He had sent Abigail. Abigail loved only him. This thought made Gabriel's skin boil with rage. 

Gabriel walked up, and grabbed Tom Riddle by his collar.  

"Sit the fuck down!" Marvolo barked, his patience growing thin.  

Gabriel refused to let go. He wanted to punch that smirk off Riddle's face. 

"Do you know what he did?" Gabriel screamed. Marvolo shook his head, dismissing Gabriel's outburst as shock and jealousy. 

"Please!" Marvolo said, urging Gabriel to sit down. 

Gabriel sat down, calming himself and getting in that chair, staring Tom Riddle down from across the table. 

"Now...where were we, boys? Gabriel, meet your brother." 

Those words landed on the marble floors cold and hard. 

Gabriel almost fell out of his chair.

"W-what?" he said, feeling as if this was some kind of bad dream. 

Marvolo sighed. "We can get the full story later...but he's your half brother, Gabriel. Now we welcome him into our family." 

Gabriel stood up and threw his plate onto the floor.  

"Gabriel!" Marvolo snapped, looking at his son impatiently. "Listen-"

Gabriel laughs a cold laugh. "How could you?" He asks, looking Marvolo in the eye. "The minute mum is gone...you bring your bastard son here?" 

Marvolo stood up too. "How dare you speak to your father this way! I-"

"Father? Please! Since when have you been a father." Gabriel cried, walking off. He had tears in his eyes, but he had to hide them from Tom Riddle. He would not let the other boys see his weakness. 

Gabriel ran to the rooftop, shut the door behind him, and curled into a corner, looking at the city skyline before him. 

It made sense, somehow, even thought it was most bizarre.