Part 12

The Rook was a bar, not a restaurant, but it did serve two meals a day to the patrons who could afford it. Breakfast, which was typically bacon or sausage sandwiches, and dinner which was whatever the meal planner for John's establishments bothered to send. There was no kitchen in the bar so both Leo and Justice also lived off the food which was served to the patrons. That particular night, it was Korean food.

A young man, not as pretty as John's boys but still a good looking young man, was serving dishes out at one of the bigger tables in the bar. Pale skin, black hair and dark brown eyes with pink lips. He barely blinked at the comments the men were giving him, just smiling and serving out the food. Yoh, a city resident for the simple fact he had been born and brought up in the city.

Elison didn't know him that well but his family cooked good food and the smell had his stomach rumbling. First, though, he moved over to the corner where a fireplace was and put Jaspar down into one of the soft leather chairs which were next to it. They were the only free chairs in the joint. The Rook was only really meant for twenty people at max but at dinner times it often went over the limit as the day and night patrons mingled enjoying their dinner. Several people shifted to let him through, no one blinking at the sight of the blind young man in his grasp.

"I hope you like Korean food," Elison smiled at Jaspar as he brushed off the man's knees. Justice was already standing at Yoh's station holding two plates for their share of food. Yoh smiled as always and served the portions out, Elison looking around the room for signs of troublemakers.

"Can't say I've ever had it," Jaspar murmured, clearly uncomfortable in the sound din of the room. Elison didn't blame him. He himself preferred the Rook when it was quiet and not during its more busy times. He had eaten dinner there once or twice but preferred eating in his own space. The room was full of smells, the constant smell of cigarettes and booze being slightly overpowered by the smell of food. Elison had the sudden thought that he was going to have to get used to the Rook in all its forms now he was living there.

Elison pulled up a stool so he was sitting next to Jaspar, leaning against the arm of the armchair so his back was brushing against Jaspar's leg. "It's good. Not sure how often the Rook serves it, but Yoh's family runs the best restaurant in town so," he shrugged. "Justice and Leo might know the menu for this place better."

"I'm guessing there really aren't any options then," Jaspar said sounding almost amused by this for some reason. "Is the Rook the name of the bar where we are?" he asked idly, his hands fidgeting in his lap.

"Yeah. The Rook is the place. It's not big but has a pretty regular crowd so it just gets one meal option. Occasionally there is a buffet with odds and ends of different foods but normally it's just one dish. If one of the regulars don't like it, they just have to go get their own food from somewhere else." Elison mused, watching over Justice as he made his way towards them.

Several regulars greeted him with customary winks, butt pats and teases. Justice blushed and smiled and took it with all the grace of someone who had no choice to. Elison felt something in his stomach settle unhappily. It wasn't his job to look after Justice or his right to worry over the man, but he couldn't help but feel Justice was going to snap soon. There was only so long people could survive in this environment if they weren't the right mind-set.

"Sounds like a big crowd," Jaspar commented softly.

"Thirty or so people are here today," Elison commented, "Justice, what's the meal today?" He smiled at the man who was holding two trays.

"Bibimbap," Justice commented, passing Elison his tray before settling the second on Jaspar's lap. Jaspar visibly sniffed the air in front of him and made a happy sound. His stomach rumbled at the delicious smell of the food..