Part 43

Jaspar didn't do anything as dramatic as scream but the world began to spin for him. Suddenly unable to focus as the Rook exploded into life, his body going cold despite the heavy blanket on his knees. His head still spinning, it was hard to breathe as pure terror bubbled up inside of him. Heat slammed back into his body as he was suddenly back in his vision. The smell of burning flesh filling his nose, the screams of Nathan filling his ears and the heat from the flames surrounded him.

"Breathe!" Elison snapped, his voice cutting through the sensations like a knife, demanding to be listened too. Jaspar was aware of the man's hands on him. One cupping his face gently, the other on the side of his neck, forcing their foreheads to touch. "Jaspar, breathe!"

Air returned Jaspar's lungs link Elison's order alone had freed the iron grip on them. The sensation left him feeling only dizzier as he tried to stop swaying with the movement. He clutched onto Elison, unable speak. The noise of everyone talking and yelling too much for him to handle.

"Elison, you got him?" Leo's voice called over the noise.

"I got him, you focus on Bill," Elison called back, his hands leaving Jaspar to move under his knees and around his shoulders. Elison lifted him up and Jaspar found himself in Elison's lap. Jaspar easily curled up into the embrace, hiding his face in the man's shoulder, breathing in Elison's scent. Trying to regain control of himself.

"Doc's car's broken. I'm going to get him," Donny's voice shouted over the fray. "Someone call the warden!" he added before the door slammed. The buzz ebbed slightly before picking up as several people started calling around. They needed people to start hunting for Nathan and fast.

"Elison..." Jaspar wheezed painfully, trying to say something, anything.

"Hush, just breathe," Elison soothed, rubbing Jaspar's back in circles firmly.

"He's going to burn," Jaspar cried out in fear, his grip on Elison's t-shirt threatening to rip the material.

"Nathan won't. We'll find him," Elison promised firmly, hugging Jaspar close and kissing his forehead. "John wants him. He won't let Nathan burn." John would never let harm befall any soul he had his eyes on and it was clear to Elison that he wanted Nathan. Jaspar hiccupped slightly, clearly not entirely sure that was a good thing.

There was a loud bang as Justice slammed the phone down in frustrated. "John's dancing. We have no way to contact him," Justice growled angrily. "They must have started early tonight because of the sodding moon."

"Justice!" Elison growled darkly at Justice's extremely unhelpful comment. The rumble moving through Jaspar where he was pressed against Elison's chest. Jaspar felt his stomach twist angrily, as panic began to grip his chest.

Elison was up and moving him immediately. Jaspar felt as his knees hit the cold ground and his head moved near something hard and smooth. He threw up heavily. Elison holding his fringe out the way and rubbing his back making calming noises.

"Get it out," Elison murmured. "I've got you."

Tears running down his face and dry wrenching, Jaspar shivered badly, the smell of vomit mixing with burnt flesh. The tips of his fingers were burning and his heart was hammering. He leant into Elison sobbing heavily, images flashing through his mind. None of which were good. Nathan scared, blindfolded next to a radiator. Something unseen slapping him. The blond woman bored at her job but having to stay late to finish a stack of paperwork. A dragon soaring in the sky, ember tearing up the skyline. Nathan's last scream as he was stuffed into the incinerator alive.

"Elison," Jaspar wept, clinging to the demon spawn.

"Elison," another voice called. "You want me to call Calder? We've started the war drums."