Part 33

None of them said a word for a few moments after Nathan had spoken. The rest of the pub continued oblivious, not many wanting or willing get involved with whatever was troubling the young boy. A fact Elison thought was fair enough, the boy's clothes were nice but chances were he didn't have the kind of money needed to hire the men who drank in the Rook. No money and likely anything of value to any of them, plus he was too young to fuck so that was also out of the question.

Jaspar took a deep breath before turning back to the piano and starting to play a new song. Elison blinked surprised, he had assumed that the boy had taken off his gloves to have an insight into Nathan, but the seer was acting almost nonchalant for a strange reason. The music was more classical than some of his earlier pieces though Elison had no idea what the name of it was.

Nathan slumped suddenly and fell onto the table fast asleep. Jaspar's fingers stumbled but he carried on with the song. "Did he just fall asleep?" Jaspar asked frowning, apparently listening to the kids breathing.

"With some help," Leo chuckled, waving a small bottle at Elison to show what he had used. The liquid in the bottle was bright purple which suggested it was of magic origins and not some drug Leo had managed to source for such occasions. "Still not sure how much the boy knows about the supernatural. I figured it would be best for him to sleep through the night and think of all this as a very bad dream."

"That's a fair idea," Jaspar mused, his fingers continuing to move over the keyboard but in a faster motion as the music picked up. "Last thing he needs to do is get caught in the web of the supernatural world."

"Maybe too late for that, but we'll see," Elison commented darkly, the music turning more serious with his word. Elison couldn't help but wonder if Jaspar was just playing now or if the song genuinely went along the notes he was playing. Elison shifted and picked the now deeply asleep boy up and placed him on one of the wall sofas which lined the pub. The man didn't even stir as he was moved.

"He's tiny, smaller than Jaspar is," Leo mused, looking at Nathan now he was laid out. Nathan was a little chubby but he was barely 5 foot 5 if Elison judged right. Jaspar was just 5 foot 6 at best, which Elison liked because it meant he could move the man easily. Leo himself was only an inch taller than Jaspar but Justice was 6 foot 1.

"Oi," Jaspar said, almost darkly. "I'm not that small."

Elison smirked but said nothing, instead looking at Leo again. "I know John has rules about people going upstairs but are there rules about bringing pillows and blankets down?" He asked with a gruff tone to disguise the fact he was concerned the boy wasn't comfortable enough. Being about Jaspar was starting to affect him a little. The human liked having moral debates when Elison least wanted them.

The blanket which Jaspar had used when he had first been brought to the Rook had migrated upstairs and into their share room. Jaspar liked the texture of it and it helped him feel safe during the rare moments Elison had to leave him alone in the rook.

"No. The rules are just about letting people up there," Leo replied, moving over to the boy and kneeling down to reveal a slide away cupboard under the sofa. "Don't worry though, we have supplies down here," he smiled up at Elison before passing him a pillow and a blanket which was similar to the one Jaspar liked but a navy colour inside of brown. "Too many regulars who use the bar like the retreat instead of going home," he explained with a chuckled.

"Then how come you never hand them out when we are going to sleep?" muttered one of the regulars who had overheard the comment.

"Maybe if you showered a bit more, we would," Leo said flatly while Elison gently lifted the boys head and put the pillow under it and spread the blanket over him. "Our laundry bill would skyrocket if we started handing them out while you guys are still covered in mud, blood and gods know what else."