Part 49

The downstairs of the Rook was dark. There were a few of the morning regulars in but they were quiet in respect for the group of people on the floor in front of the fireplace. Maria had claimed the area when she had arrived back with Nathan the night before. Leo and Justice not fighting the decision but instead passing her the supply of downstairs pillows and blankets so she could make a nest. A few of the regulars had even curled up on the edges of the thing.

Maria lay in the centre of the cuddle pile, with Nathan in her arms. Tim was on her other side with currently Oct pressed against him. Oct snoring slightly as he slept, his hand holding on to Tim's waist. The other side of Nathan was Leo with Jaspar curled into him. Elison bracketing him. Nadiam was sleeping on the edge of the pile, next to a regular with Justice looking at them all longingly but loyally doing his job and serving the awake customers.

In summary, it was a strange sight to come into the Rook to see. They all looked peaceful and mostly in one piece. There were a few bruises and bandages shattered about them but no one was seriously hurt. There was a strange smell in the air, however. Sweat from the bodies being pushed together and rotting eggs from dragon shifters in the mix.

Jaspar stirred, sitting up and clicking his shoulders. Elison grumbled but reached up and pulled Jaspar back into his arms. Jaspar groaned unhappily. "Elison," he moaned softly. "I need the toilet," he complained, elbowing the demon in the ribs.

"Wait another few moments. John's upstairs," Elison murmured into his ear.

Wincing Jaspar turned over and hugged Elison, burying his head under the demon's chin. Waiting was possibly a better idea. Jaspar wasn't sure he wanted to be alone with John after the events of the previous night. He had no doubt John was going to try to reap as many benefits as possible from the chaos. Nathan likely now would be at his mercy, Bill certainly was and Jaspar was suddenly in a lot more debt to dangerous people. Delaying the announcements of these facts was futile but at that moment Jaspar just wanted to be in Elison's arms.

"You're safe and everyone good is alive," Elison murmured softly into Jaspar's hair.

"Fran's dead," Jaspar said softly, sadness strong in his tone. "And a man is falling to pieces with guilt that he couldn't control his inner monster and that no one could stop it. Werewolves couldn't stop him."

"The wolves were small fries. It is a shame what happened to them but they weren't particularly strong Jaspar. We'll sort everything out, don't worry. You just, you just will have to use those powers of yours to gain some favours in your direction," Elison shrugged lightly. "I'll talk to John and Calder and we will get something set up. They won't want someone so dangerous in the city anyway."

"And Fran?" Jaspar whispered.

"Wasn't your fault," Oct grumbled from his spot, having woken up. "Precautions were made and they failed. You can't feel guilty for her, Jaspar. We don't yet if those visions of yours are fixed or not. All we know is that woman died this time. You didn't see the wolves however, things were changed, even if the overall result is the same."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Jaspar asked dryly, his chest feeling like it was almost throbbing.

"No. It is just a fact," Oct said firmly.

"Things changed. They aren't fixed. We just need to take better measures next time," Maria added with a touch of growl in her voice.

"I agree, Warden," John said having entered the room, looking at them all bemused with a wrinkled nose. "Warden Maria, Warden Tim, your help last night was appreciated but I must now ask you to return to your homes and shower. You both stink," he said bluntly, lavender filling the room to mask the smell of unwashed dragon-shifters.