Part 54

"What happens to Jasper?" Maria snarled darkly as she slid into the car, a hand going up to inspect the blind man's wound. The cloth was soaking in blood but it had finally stopped bleeding. She was squeezed into the back with Jasper and Justice, Tim sliding into the front seat. The car was small and while Jaspar and Maria weren't tall, Justice's long legs were clearly cramped and uncomfortable.

"Slight complication," Raine grunted as he put the car back into gear and sped off again. Taking back roads which had iron rail tracks on one side. John was too powerful to be affected by iron but his fae minions at least would be. "The timing of the plan was a little off."

"A little off?" Maria narrowed her eyes, rumbling through the pockets in her leather jacket and pulling out a large bandaid. "Tim, do you have any first aid wipes on you?"

"Here," Tim passed a small packet. Maria ripped it open with her teeth and gently patted the wound down. Throwing the blood cloth on the floor at there feet despite Raine's complains that it was disgusting. The dust came off Jasper's wound easily, reopening the wound for a moment before the blood clotted again. Jasper hissed at the pain but said little.

"You have first aid things just on you?" Justice commented surprised, holding Jaspers hand as Maria cleaned the wound.

"Comes in handy in this profession," she muttered, more focused on Jasper. Without eyes, it was impossible to tell if Jasper had a concussion or not. The only thing they could do was keep him awake. She unpeeled the plaster and stuck in over the wound carefully. "There we go," she said warmly, kissing Jaspar's forehead.

Jasper blushed more, letting go of Justice's hand to touch the plaster and feel its size. He winced again but nodded slowly in what Maria could only guess was acceptance. "What is the plan?" He asked softly, pressing against Justice. Justice wrapped his arm around Jasper and looked at Maria with large brown eyes, clearly wanting an answer himself.

Maria met Raine's eyes in the rearview mirror. Yellow meeting brown. Raine was very much human. A man in his forties with a shaved head and tattoo of knuckle dusters on the top of his head. Thanks to Lord Calder and a set of unfortunate circumstance, Raine could only get a job as a bouncer in clubs which required him to look scary. "What is the plan?" She asked seriously. "You were briefed on the fact we can't use the border forest glitch?"

"I were," the man nodded. "Last resort. Trying church road first. Lots of iron and silver in the air. At this time of day, tis the safest option," he admitted. "Turning," he added, taking a corner at some speed.

The three in the back yelped as they were slammed into each other. "Raine!" Maria growled, amidst the sound of car horns and yells. "You are going to get us noticed if you'd don't drive more carefully!" she warned, rubbing her head where she had hit it against the roof of the car.

"Look we have to clear the inner city as soon as possible. Then I'll calm downs. We're almost on the highway," Raine stayed firmly. "Either shut you mugs or buckle up," he ordered, the car revving as he sped up again.

"You're going to have to slow down, Raine. Traffic ahead," Tim growled.

Raine cursed viciously as he slammed the breaks and the car squealed to a stop. "Right," he nodded to himself, reversing and spinning the car around. "Don't worry we have a few other opinions," he commented seriously, taking a few more corners violently.

"I think John might have found out," Maria mused softly, looking out of the window.

"He calling you?" Tim asked darkly. "I told you not to bring your phone!" he growled, turning over in his chair to glare at her.