Part 24

Elison led Jaspar into Calder's office holding his hand tightly. Jaspar was clearly nervous but didn't look like he was going to collapse into a crying heap thankfully. Not that Jaspar had acted in any way to suggest he was going to be a weeping queen, but he was still clearly veering from one extreme of the spectrum to the other.

He had seemed happy enough in the bar with Leo and the morning regs, but they were going into a stressful situation and braver men had been known to lose their cool before.

Calder's office was a simply designed but elegant one. Mostly used for when he was talking to people officially or doing the paperwork for his legal businesses, Calder's office was decorated with a modern design. The desk was glass, and the chairs were made from black leather. There was a black rug on white tiles and the walls were also white with no doubt extremely expensive paintings on the wall.

The aide shut the doors behind them, Elison not missing how Jaspar flinched at the sound. Elison just wished he could remember the name of the young man.

"Mr Elison, good to see you are on time," Lord Calder greeted with his normal strong voice with screamed he was a powerful man. "And this must be our young seer." He walked over to them and shook Elison's hands, his eyes not really on Elison but taking in the young man slightly behind him.

Elison knew what Lord Calder would be taking in. Pale crème like skin with a few freckles on his cheeks, reddish-brown hair which hung about his shoulders and a slender body type. Jaspar looked like any well-protected middle-class young man, ignoring the lack of muscles. The suit Justice had lent Jaspar fit him well despite the difference in height and the glasses hid most of the bruising on his face. He was a perfect piece of prey for the monsters of the underworld.

"I'm Lord Calder. It is a pleasure to meet you Mr Tinman, even under these unfortunate circumstances," Lord Calder politely, shifting to face the seer now in his control.

"And you," Jaspar said with hesitation before offering his hand. Elison saw a flash of approval go through Lord Calder's eyes at this.

A businessman at heart, Lord Calder liked people who thought to shake hands, even if the fae and demons of the city disagreed with the habit. It was a show of how much influence John and Lord Calder had that most supernatural of the city quickly broke their disdain of the greeting. Elison knew it wasn't easy for some of them, but with the city becoming more international each day, some customs had to change.

Lord Calder took it in a firm handshake, the approval reminding with Jaspar's own handshake. However, suddenly Jaspar wavered, his body almost going limp for a moment though he didn't actually collapse. It was over in moments and the boy had a surprised expression on his face.

"Vision?" Lord Calder asked, having noticed the way Jaspar had sagged slightly.

"No, no I don't think so," Jaspar said, sounding very confused. He let go of Lord Calder hand and clenched and unclenched his own like it was hurting.

"Jaspar?" Elison murmured.

"Sorry, I don't haven't felt that before," Jaspar admitted sounding genuinely confused. "Didn't feel like a vision but..." he hesitated.

"Go on," Lord Calder coaxed gently, putting an arm around the man's back to lead him to a chair. Jaspar sat slowly, taking the hint, Elison making sure he was close to the young man. Calder shot him a look of amusement not unaware of Elison's motivations. They weren't all about making Jaspar feel safe.

"Lord Calder, you have an Asian lover?" Jaspar commented uncertainly, "You had a fight with him this morning and you're worried about him."

Lord Calder's face was suddenly very guarded, his eyes fixed on the young man's face. "Correct," despite his guarded demeanour Lord Calder managed to make his voice sound unnerved by the face Jaspar knew that. Elison could almost hear him planning to check over his security system. "Anything else you managed to gain from shaking my hand?"