Part 25

Once Calder had led them out of the office and left them on their own, Jaspar felt like he was going to throw up. The man was a different kind of insane. Similar to John in his manner of being almost ridiculously warm and friendly despite talking about horrifying issues. Calder had basically said it was his own fault for getting his eyes cut out and that he could just relax and let them look after him.

"You okay after that Jaspar?" Elison asked gently from behind him, holding his hand still gently.

Jaspar found himself laughing almost uncontrollably, tears leaking from his eyes. He found himself hugging Elison and hiding his face in Elison's neck. Elison hushed him gently and hugged him close as he laughed and sobbed. This was likely not a good place to have a minor breakdown again but he couldn't help it.

After meeting Calder, he was starting to understand Elison. If the boss was like that, no wonder the subordinates were twisted as well. His instincts had been almost too mixed over Calder. Changing from good to bad in seconds only to switch back. Jaspar honestly wasn't sure what to think of the man. Calder was human but he acted more like a demon or a fae. His voice was so cold when talking about death and the organ trade but he had been almost warm and friendly about his powers and what his life was going to be. He sounded almost sympathetic when he had talked about sending his stuff back

"Come on," Elison murmured gently. "Let's go back to the Rook," he coaxed.

Jaspar shook his head, "No," he said firmly, wiping his face and pulling back from Elison. "Lord Calder said I could get a few things?" he said, one hand still holding onto Elison's jacket tightly. If this was going to be the last time he had access to his belongings, he wanted the chance to get some of his stuff.

"Peter," Elison called gently, one arm still around Jaspar's waist. "Here Jaspar, have some water," he commented in a low voice. Jaspar took the glass and gulped it down, his stomach feeling slightly better for it. Elison talking to the man about seeing Jaspar's things. Peter made accepting sounds and when Jaspar was finished drinking, Elison pulled him up by his arm and they walked into another room.

"You aren't allowed your phone or laptop obviously but I think you are allowed anything else to my knowledge," Peter commented in a thoughtful voice. "Is there anything, in particular, you are looking for?" he asked, ruffling through the bags.

Jaspar hummed, moving over to the sound, Elison stopping him before he hit the table. "I have a blanket and a watch I want," he commented softly, hands reaching into his smaller rucksack for the watch. He kept it close to himself because it was a gift for his eighteenth birthday. Jaspar wanted to keep it.

"What colour's the blanket?" Elison asked as he went through the main rucksack.

"Blue with stars," Jaspar said with a slight blush on his cheeks. The blanket was for more childish reasons but if he was allowed it, he wanted it much for the same reasons as he wanted the watch. He found the box and pulled it out, opening it up and tracing his fingers around the watch piece to check it was still there.

"Nice watch," Elison mused from over his shoulder, "Birthday gift?"

"Yes," Jaspar nodded before closing the box again, holding it tightly in his hands.

"We have your blanket," Peter said cheerfully, taking the box off him to put it in something before handing him a plastic bag. "The bags are not see through so you don't have to worry about the bar regulars seeing your stuff," he added in the same helpful tone.

"Thank you," Jaspar smiled softly, reaching in to feel the soft material and to double check where the watch box had fallen in the bag.

"Not a problem. I'm sorry we can't let you have more. A watch and a blanket can be excused but half your clothes or anything like that can't really," Peter said sadly.

"I get it, don't worry," Jaspar felt his smile fade slightly despite his efforts to seem cheerful enough about the situation. He did not want to cry again until he was behind the safe door of his new bedroom. "Thank you for helping find my blanket."

"Good luck Mr Tinman," Peter said sincerely, making Jaspar wonder just what kind of person Peter was. Working for a mob boss, he seemed oddly truthful and honest but then again Jaspar could imagine those qualities could be useful when dealing with a man who did not allow people to lie to him. "I'm sure Lord Calder told you this but, if you need help find Warden Maria. She was very angry about your situation so she will do her best to look after you."

Jaspar nodded slowly "I'll remember," he promised as Elison held his arm gently and led him away from the room. They passed through the elevator music room again and Elison knocked in a pattern on the door. "Magic door again?" he said softly.

"Safest way to travel," Elison said gently. "We lose a bit of time in the transfer but no one can hurt us on the way." He rubbed Jaspar's back and wrapped an arm around his shoulder. The door opened and they walked through. Again Jaspar felt a cold sensation move through him, but he felt less nauseous this time. Or perhaps he did and the fact he was nauseous anywhere from meeting Calder meant he couldn't feel it anymore.

"Welcome back," Leo's voice chimed happily as they were surrounded by the Rook's smell again. "Everything go well?"

"Well enough," Elison said with a relieved tone, though nowhere near as happy as Leo. "What time are we on?" he asked, gently pushing Jaspar through the bar. A few of the men greeted them, one or two using Jaspar's actual name. He smiled and nodded calmly at them as he was pushed he hoped to the stairs to the upstairs of the Rook.

"Just gone twelve," Leo said still cheerfully. "John will be back about 2pm for the information."

Elison paused, Jaspar jolting to a stop with him. "Right," Elison said calmly but distinctly unhappy with this fact. Jaspar bit his lip, understanding now why Calder had asked them not to tell John. It seemed the fae was watching his situation closely and from the grip Elison had on his shoulders, he wasn't happy with this. After a moment, Elison gave up leading Jaspar and just picked him up to carry him.

The door closed behind them as they went into the room and Elison dropped him on the double bed. Jaspar bouncing slightly with the impact. "Thank you," Jaspar murmured. "For sticking close to me during that." Even if Elison hadn't been holding on to him like normal, Jaspar had felt him brushing against his shoulder. When Calder had been getting very scary it had been reassuring to have the man next to him.

"I was hardly going to leave you alone with Lord Calder willingly," Elison commented gently. "He's an," Elison paused, clearly thinking which word to use, "intense individual."

"I can tell that much," Jaspar sighed, turning on his side to curl up in a ball, putting his bag on the side of the bed. "Why would John care about who his lover is?" he asked idly.

Elison hummed and Jaspar felt as he cast a spell around the room. Jaspar shifted as it washed over him. "John could use it against them," Elison commented, flopping onto the bed himself. "Both of them for that matter. I don't think Calder could care too much given John has a certain amount of control over him anyway but Akihito is a different matter."

"Who is Akihito Saito?" Jaspar asked softly, guessing Elison had put a privacy spell around them given the topic of conversation.

"One of the best lawyers in the city," Elison explained. "He's Japanese and is officially a citizen of the city. His parents moved here when he was young and he's one of the few citizens to have been out the city for any length of time. Most people lose their rights to their protection if they are gone for too long but Aki managed to get special circumstances to go to law school."

"That so," Jaspar murmured, "Let me guess, most of his cases are mob related."

"Against the mob normally," Elison acknowledged. "Which is why it's a bit of an achievement for Lord Calder to have him in his bed. I wonder how that happened?" he mused. "Akihito is a bit of an idol in the city. He's respected, handsome and clever. This affair with a known mob boss could really ruin his reputation."

"Thinking over what I know about this world, maybe it wasn't entirely his own will," Jaspar muttered darkly, thinking about how Calder had spoken about it being his own fault for his eyes being stolen. He felt angry about that, angry and frustrated. That did not make the fact he allowed this to happen any better. Uncontrolled markets being worse was a flimsy excuse in Jaspar's eyes. "Still Lord Calder seems protective of him."

"He does have a heart you know. A little twisted from being the Regent but it does exist," Elison chuckled, amused at Jaspar's dark tone. Jaspar snorted. He didn't doubt the man had a heart, he just doubted it was only a little twisted.

"I'm sorry Elison, I know I just told you off for leaving me alone this morning but can I have half an hour to myself," Jaspar asked softly.

Elison shifted, an arm landed on his waist to pull him close for a brief hug. The hug warm and surprisingly nice. "Okay Jaspar," Elison murmured into his ear. "I'll have to lock the door again... Would you like me to get you some hot chocolate? John lets people drink that at least upstairs."

"Yes please," Jaspar murmured, eyes watering slightly. Elison kissed his cheek and left him, leaving Jaspar cold. When he had heard the door lock click into place, he reached down and pulled his blanket out and wrapped it around himself. That definitely hadn't made Jaspar feel any better about the scary future that was in store for him.