Part 26

A few days later and honestly and frankly, Jaspar was bored. In the days after his scary meeting with Calder, he hadn't left the Rook once. Neither had Justice, Leo nor Elison either which made Jaspar only understand Justice's unhappiness even more. Humans weren't meant to be penned up such a small area for such a long time. Well, maybe three days wasn't long in the grand scheme of things but Jaspar got the feeling it could last a considerably longer time if he was so unfortunate.

It was the seventh day now, it had been a week since he was blinded and he was nowhere near recovering emotionally. He was currently doing what he seemed to spend a lot of time doing. Sitting down at the bar, leaning on his arms, not really doing anything but moping. The radio was on in the background and there was a low buzz of conversation but at the time of day they were at, there weren't that many people in the Rook.

"You alright, Pup?" Donny asked as the man sat next to him. The morning customer was normally in-between the hours of 8am and 12pm and normally smelt heavily of peanuts. Today was no different and the man was actually chewing on some as he spoke.

"Good enough. Just a little bored," Jaspar admitted, leaning on his arm so he was facing the direction Donny was in politely. Even if he couldn't see anymore, body language was still important, especially in a place like the Rook.

"I suppose it's harder to amuse yourself now," Donny acknowledged, apparently deciding to start a conversation. Many of the regulars had tried to include him in conversations after the past few days with varying degrees of success and how much Elison allowed them too. His bodyguard had been taking his job very seriously and had been making it clear to Jaspar who was safe to talk to when Jaspar was on his own and who was not.

Elison liked and trusted Donny's character enough to let him talk to Jaspar without Elison towering behind Jaspar. Though Jaspar had been warned that a lot of what Donny said was complete bullshit. "I heard you first braille lesson went interestingly."

Jaspar groaned in embarrassment and let his head down with a loud thump against the wooden bar top. John had arranged his 'not by choice' lessons to be in the Rook and hence in front of all the customers. He had hoped his lesson hadn't been that entertaining but apparently not if Donny had heard about the incident. The piano lesson had gone considerably better. The can lesson had gone mixed but at least the teacher wasn't a demon in disguise.

Donny chuckled and patted him on the back friendly enough, though it lingered afterwards. "I'm sure it wasn't that bad," Donny commented.

"It was," Jaspar muttered darkly, "I don't believe the teacher is only human. She's..."

"Hand's off the seer," Elison said loudly, interrupting before Jaspar could insult his teacher. "And no insulting Ms Tyer. It was very kind of her to agree to teach you in the Rook," he added, slapping the back of Jaspar's head gently to scold him. "Morning, Donny," he added cheerfully, as he stood in a way which would stop the man putting his hands on Jaspar again.

"Morning," Donny said unembarrassed about being told off for touching Jaspar. "Once you have braille down, it will be easier to entertain yourself, I'm sure," he added to Jaspar, eating some more peanuts.

"Your piano lessons went well," added Elison cheerfully, trying to encourage Jaspar to look on the brighter things. Jaspar at that moment wasn't in the mood to do so and it only irritated him slightly that Elison as trying.

Jaspar shrugged, not arguing that fact. "I learned piano when I was younger. When I can find the keys and remember the notes, I can still play," he said dully, not considering the ability to play the piano to be an achievement while now blind. "I can't play the piano all the time, though." Not unless he wanted to make people in the Rook go mad. John, on the other hand, being fae had been incredibility happy with Jaspar's ability to play and had asked him to play in the evenings now. As such there was now a piano pushed into the corner of the room.