Dragon Lessons

No this chapter is not a romance between Mal and Hiccup he's just helping her.

Author's POV

Mal woke up slowly, not quite ready to face reality, where everyone on Berk would give her strange looks from yesterday, where people would no doubt be asking her questions she didn't want to answer. No, Mal did not wake up immediately, she just snuggled deeper into her warm pillow. Her warm and breathing? Pillow. Wait that's not right, pillows don't breathe.
Mal thought, jerking herself upright. Then seeing it was Ben she relaxed slightly. Ben who had felt the bed jerk looked up to see Mal sitting up. "Morning Dragon." Ben greeted. "Good morning." Mal replied. Mal looked around for Evie but she was nowhere in sight. "Where's E?" Mal asked. "I don't know maybe she went downstairs." Ben suggested. "Well in that case we should probably get ready for the day." Mal said. "Yeah probably, I'll go to my room to get ready and meet you downstairs." Ben said kissing her cheek and leaving the room. Mal looked around her room for her clothes and spotted them draped over Evie's bed frame. Mal picked up the outfit and examined it. The shirt was a long purple tank top with a black leather belt with and a black leather half jacket. As for pants Evie left Mal a pair of black leather leggings. A pair of dark purple ankle boots were on the floor. Evie had also designed a  gold wrap around head band that had little dragons with green jeweled eyes and vines all twirling together. Mal's necklace was a simple gold chain with a small amethyst pendant with a pair of earrings to match. To complete the look Mal did her hair in a tight ballerina bun at the bottom of her scalp. Mal added some eyeliner and strawberry lipgloss and walked out of the door. Making her way downstairs.

When Mal got downstairs she wasn't sure where everyone else was until she heard laughter coming from the main sitting room. So Mal followed the voices and found her friends, and boyfriend as well as Chief Hiccup, his wife, and their friends eating breakfast. Jay spotted her first. "Why if it isn't the dragon lady herself! Good morning sleepyhead." Jay said, sarcastically. "Bite me Jay. Or better yet wait until I turn into a dragon again and I'll bite you." Mal snapped. "You never were a morning person." Evie said causing everyone to laugh. Mal just growled and grabbed an apple before she took her spot on Ben's lap. "Hey Mal, we have more chairs now."Ruffnut said. "Yeah so?" Mal said. " So you can sit in one if you want." Ruffnut replied. "No thanks I'm good. I'm right where I want to be." Mal said effectively ending the conversation. "So what are we going to do today?" Carlos asked to no one in particular. "Well I was thinking about taking you all on a tour around Berk on dragon-back, but I was asked earlier by King Ben to help Mal learn to be able to summon her inner dragon at will." Hiccup said. " You can just call me Ben." Ben said. Mal's eyes immediately widened in excitement.  "Yes! That would be great King Triton gave me some great advice but most of it was proverbial and stuff that I couldn't apply to transforming." Mal said enthusiastically. "Well someone's excited." Carlos said jokingly. "Yeah well you would be to if you could turn into a dragon and were not able to control it." Mal said. "Okay so when do we start?" Mal asked. "And what about her clothes? I will not have another outfit that I made by hand ruined sewing through leather isn't easy." Evie said. "We can start after breakfast, and as for her clothes...well anyone have any ideas?" Hiccup asked. "I say we just keep her naked." Snotlout said. Earning a growl and glowing green death glare from Mal as well as a angry look from Ben who tightened his grip on Mal's waist. "Shut up! It's never going to happen." Mal shouted. "How about I bring her one of my really big t-shirts to where for now and then we can have her clothes to change into." Ben suggested. "That's a great idea." Mal said. "Alright then Ben go grab a shirt." Hiccup said. "Mal can you do teleportation?" Hiccup asked. "Yes why?" Mal asked. Because it will be quicker to teleport where we are going than to fly there. If I were to describe where we were going could you do it?" Hiccup asked. "Probably, it shouldn't be to hard." Mal answered. "Good." Hiccup said. Mal didn't say anything else due to the fact that the next thing she knew a t-shirt was thrown at her. Mal was able to stop it with magic."Ben!" Mal exclaimed. "Yes dear?" He asked. "Why'd you throw this at me?" Mal asked. "To see if your magic was as effective in the morning as it is at any other time." Ben answered. "Well are you satisfied?" Mal grumbled."Yes now go change so we can leave." Ben ordered. Mal walked toward the bathroom punching Ben in the shoulder as she did so. "Ow what was that for?" He asked. "Throwing your shirt at me." Mal replied before going upstairs and entering the bathroom. Mal removed the outfit Evie had made her and folded it up before slipping on the shirt Ben had given her. It was one of Hali's old Tourney jerseys. The hem fell just above her knees.  Mal went back downstairs. "Now going to be teleporting us to our destination so I need everyone to hold hands." Mal ordered taking hold of Ben's hand as well as Evie's. Once everyone was holding hands Mal spoke to Hiccup. "Now Chief Hiccup if you want to describe where we are going now would be great." Mal said. "Right. So the place where going is a cove with a small lake and a little waterfall it's surrounded by tan stone on all sides and has dragon claw marks on the left wall." Hiccup said. Mal closed her eyes and took 3 deep breaths imagining the place he had described. Purple smoke began to form around the group. One of the twins was about to speak but was quickly silenced at a death glare from Jay telling them to be quiet.
When Mal opened her eyes she found herself standing in the exact cove Hiccup had described. "Good job Mal." Hiccup said. "Thanks." Mal said. "So what are we supposed to do?" Snotlout asked. "You guys can sit over there and watch quietly." Hiccup said in a tone that clearly stated the topic was not up for debate. Snotlout grumbled to himself as he and the others went and sat down."So Mal, from what Ben told me your dragon transformations has always been linked to your emotions. The two emotions that seem to be consistent in each of the two times you've transformed has been anger. So I want to try using a new emotion to call your inner dragon: Happiness." Hiccup explained.Mal looked at him skeptically. "Just hear me out. Let's start by doing what we did yesterday to get you to change back. Close your eyes." Hiccup instructed. Mal did so."Good now take three deep breaths." He said. Mal did as he asked. "Great now think about what makes you happy." Hiccup instructed. Mal thought about Ben, Evie, Jay, and Carlos. Mal heard several gasps. "Now open your eyes Mal." Hiccup ordered. Mal opened her eyes an found that she had successfully transformed into a dragon. Mal lifted her head and roared in victory,startling a flock of birds and several small dragons who came out of the trees and into the air. "Yeah! Mal!" Ben cheered as did everyone else. Ben came up and kissed her snout. "You're incredible! And so beautiful." Ben coped to his now dragon girlfriend. She hummed in response. "I wouldn't tell her that to often, there's almost nothing worse than a dragon with a big ego." Astrid said. Mal glared at her and growled. "On second thought you should sing her praises and dance on rooftops to make her happy." Astrid amended. "Aw is the great Fearless Astrid Hofferson-Haddock scared of a human/dragon." Snotlout teased. "Yes I am and if you had any brains you would be too." Astrid retorted. "Why it's not like she knows how to breathe fire." Snotlout said. Mal blew a big green fireball in his direction as soon as he said that. Snotlout quickly jumped out of the way but not before one of his eyebrows was singed off. Everyone started laughing. Even Mal was rolling on to her back."Is she laughing? I didn't know dragons could laugh!" Fishlegs said between laughs. "Me either but its hilarious!" Hiccup exclaimed. Once everyone had calmed down it was time for Mal to change back. Only this time Evie stood in front of her wit a blanket stretched in her hands. "Okay Mal now that you have successfully transformed into a dragon I want you to transform back into a human. I want you to close your eyes take 3 deep breaths and thinks of things that make you feel safe and calm." Hiccup instructed. Mal did so, think of the Enchanted Lake, Ben, and her sketchbook. When she opened her eyes Mal found that she was once again a human and once again naked. Thankfully no one could see her thanks to Evie who held out a blanket for her to hide behind. Mal went to get dressed but was stopped by Hiccup's voice. "Hang on Mal don't get dressed." Hiccup said. "Why not?" Mal asked. "Because I think you should practice some more." Hiccup replied.
So for the rest of the day Mal practiced and practiced and was exhausted. But as she went to bed that night tired and sore, she wore a grin of accomplishment for she had mastered her transformation.