Meltdowns and Stupid Traditions

"Mal, wake up." Evie said shaking her best friend. "No." Mal said exhausted.
"Yes you have to we are going on a tour today with the Emperor and Empress." Evie insisted. Grumbling Mal sat up and glared at her best friend. "Ok I'm up now what am I wearing today?" Mal snapped. "Alright hateful your outfit is in the bathroom now go get dressed." Evie ordered. Mal reluctantly got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom and slammed the door dramatically. Once inside Mal looked for her outfit, found it and smiled. No matter how tired she was, Mal had to admire her best friend's work. Today Mal's outfit consisted of a emerald, knee-length kimono/dress combo with a wide skirt and was embroidered with golden dragons and had a gold sash. For footwear Evie had designed a pair or simple gold flats. Along with the dress and flats Evie left a teardrop emerald pendant on a gold chain as well as a pair of emerald studs, Mal also noticed a golden hair comb inlaid with emeralds. Mal put on the outfit and smiled then she put her hair into a French twist with the hair comb on the side. Some green and gold eyeshadow, mascara,eyeliner and strawberry lip gloss completed the look. Mal stepped out of the bathroom to find Evie waiting on her bed impatiently for Mal. Mal took a moment to admire Evie's outfit which consisted of a wine red knee length kimono embroidered with roses in light red thread along with a royal blue sash, and flats. In her ears Evie wore a pair of sapphire studs as well as a sapphire pendant on a silver chain. Evie's hair was in a bun with a silver hairpin inlaid with sapphires.
"Wow Eves you look great." Mal said causing Evie to jump for she didn't hear Mal come out of the bathroom.
Evie took s moment to look at her best friend and admire her handiwork.
"No Mal we look great." Evie corrected.
"Your right of course.  My apologies." Mal said with a mock curtsy. "Whatever lets go see if Jane and Lonnie are ready." Evie said.
"Alright." Mal agreed, going to the door that conjoined their room to Lonnie and Jane's room and knocking.  The door swung open so fast that Mal took a step back. It was Jane who answered the door. "Oh thank God Its you girls I don't know what to do Lonnie's having a meltdown." Jane said wide eyed.
"What do you mean she's having a meltdown? What's wrong with her?" Mal asked. "I don't really know. A not arrived this morning from her parents I don't know what it said though I was still half asleep." Jane explained.
"Alright let's go." Mal said taking a step into the room Lonnie and Jane shared.
Mal immediately noticed two things upon entering the room: One, Lonnie was pacing back and forth while chewing her thumbnail, and two she still hadn't gotten dressed. "Lonnie what's wrong?" Mal asked. Instead of answering Lonnie handed her the notes. Mal read aloud:
    "Lonnie our dearest daughter, your mother and I love you very much and do not wish to hurt your feelings when we say this but we are concerned about your clothing. To put it quite simply the clothing you have been wearing is unacceptable and unbecoming for a Chinese princess. You should wear the traditional clothes that befits a princess. Which means you must wear traditional kimonos and sandals with a powdered face and traditional hairstyles. I can't help but feel slightly embarrassed by your appearance. When we leave the palace today for the tour I expect you to be in a traditional with your face powdered.

-Dad

Once Mal had finished reading everyone was shocked. Then Evie started to cry. "I didn't think my designs were inappropriate I really should have done more research. I'm so sorry I didn't mean to shame you Lonnie." Evie cried. "Evie stop your designs are perfect and I never have been nor will I ever be ashamed to wear the clothes you've designed for me." Lonnie said finally breaking out of her anger induced trance. "But your father said-" Evie started to say. "My father is a wise man and is right about many things but not this. He thinks I'm still a child who can be told what to do. He holds fast to the old traditions and some are very important, however the traditional style of dress for Chinese women is not only outdated but stupid. I am no longer a child and can make my own choices so I will proudly wear what you have designed for me, Evie.
"Won't your father be angry?" Mal asked. "Oh you can count on it, but I do not really care." Lonnie replied. Mal and Evie shared a look, they knew what a danger it was when they angered their parents on the Isle.
"Lonnie are you sure? In our experience angering a parent doesn't usually end well." Mal said gesturing to herself and Evie. "Mal I appreciate your concern but things here are different from the Isle." Lonnie reassured. "Ok if you're sure we will wait here while you get dressed." Mal said.
"Thanks girls you're the best friends a girl could ask for." Lonnie said and disappeared into the bathroom. For the first time Mal took in what Jane was wearing and was surprised. Jane's kimono was powder blue and fell just above her knees with a lower neckline than anyone had ever seen her wear and was embroidered with pink swirls with a pair of hot pink flats and her hair in a ballerina bun. "Wow Jane you look great Carlos is gonna die when he sees you in this." Mal said grinning. "You really think so?" I was unsure about what it would look like on me. I didn't expect Evie to design something this risqué for someone like me." Jan said blushing.
"Oh it wasn't like that originally. I made some modifications to it during our trip from Berk to here. After we played truth in Sealasia and you said you wanted Carlos to be more passionate and aggressive I figured with some slightly different clothes it would give him a nudge in the right direction." Evie said, smirking."Thanks Evie this means a lot." Jane said.
Evie didn't get a chance to reply because at that moment Lonnie stepped out of the bathroom. She was wearing a royal blue knee length kimono with sheer light blue sleeves with a black sash and a pair of black flats. Her hair was was down and curled with a sapphire hair pin on each side. But what really set off the outfit was her make up. Gone was the light soft makeup. Now Lonnie had dramatic smoky eyes with wine red lipstick.
"Geez Lonnie are you trying to get us VK's killed?" Mal asked. "No I'm just showing my parents that they can't control my life anymore. Now let's go downstairs shall we?" Lonnie said looping her arms through Her companions. The girls took off to face whatever reaction Lonnie's change in appearance would cause.