October 31st

October 31st, 2014.

“Hey Hime…”

“Lily? Is that you? Oh, my God, I missed you!”

“I missed you too. I’ve been… caught up in some things.”

“I’m too happy to even ask. Vic! It’s Lily! I told you she’d call!”

“He doubted you, Lils.”

“What – no, I didn’t! That was Mike. Not me.”

“Don’t tell me I’m wrong. I’ve been listening to this here Mexican’s bitching and groaning for months–”

“Alright, that’s enough, Victor.”

“Yes, thank you, Victor.”

“Anyway, Lily, how’ve you been? God, I missed you so much – Tony can vouch for me.”

“I believe you. I’ve been alright. Constant fighting over here, though.”

“Over what, m’dear?”

“Nothing. Look – I don’t think you should come out for my birthday.”

“Why not? I’ve been looking forward to it for over a year now!”

“Because of – um – drama.”

“Bitch, please. My life is the definition of drama. I think I can handle it.”

“I’m not even gonna’ fight you. [In a hushed tone.] I was told to say that. Don’t listen to me.”

“What–?”

[Still quiet.] My brother and some other people, aka his friends, told me to. I couldn’t say no. Just go with it. Ignore me. I have to say it. Shh.”

“Okay, gotcha. [Loudly.] OKAY LILY I WON’T COME FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY I GOT YOU HOME DOG WE COOL HOMIE.”

“What the fuck?”

“You told me to play along, so I did!”

“Y’know what–?”

“What?”

“You’re a weirdo.”

“It runs in the family.”

“I can tell. Jaime, I’ve gotta’ go, my brother is here. I’ll talk to you soon, okay? I promise. Happy Halloween.”

“Happy Halloween. Wait – promise me that you’ll at least text me if you can’t call. I-I need to make sure you’re okay and stuff.”

“Okay, Mr. Worrier. I will.”

“Thank you.”

“Anytime.”

**