Chapter 7 | Nightmares and Sunset Rum

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

A movie, a few furtive glances, and several exasperated sighs later, I finally had enough. Again.

"Ben?" I start.

"Benjamin, just Benjamin."

"Okay. Benjamin Earlswood?" I retort.

"Yes?"

"Why the heck were you a jerk to me in High School?" I ask, surprising both of us. He finally looks at me properly, and I notice a hint of panic in his deep eyes.

I wait for an answer.

And I wait some more.

I decide I might as well wait some more.

He stares at me.

He stares at me some more.

He looks away but he decides he might as well stare some more.

"You plan on answering?" I finally ask, unnerved by all the staring.

"No." He says in a rugged voice and turns back to his screen.

I was almost tempted to grab him by the collar and force the answer out of him, but the unhappy face of my mother flashes in front of my eyes, and I snuggle deep into my seat like a reprimanded puppy.

"Hey Benjamin?" I try again.

He looks at me again, impatience etched all over his face.

"You're an asshat." I spat and put on my headphones.

But I swear I heard him say,"I probably was."

That bastard.

~•~

[Calum Achorn]

When I'd finally managed to get the mad woman out of my hair, I beckoned the air hostess.

"Sunset Rum." I demand dismissively.

I look up at her staring at me with apprehension.

"Aren't you a little young to drink that?" She chides.

"I'm old enough, trust me. " I say calmly, slipping a few bills into her navy blue jacket.

She shrugs in response and walks away. I hang my head and sigh. The things you have to do for a little peace.

A few minutes later, I sipped on the strong spirit, looking at the people around me. The plane was unusually quiet, no screaming children in the back seat as I'd anticipated, but a young asian couple with their little child, and an elderly couple. The small asian child stared at me with her small, beady eyes. I stared back at her for another minute before finally giving up. Never challenge Asian people to a staring contest.

With the mad woman next to me sleeping, or whatever it was that she was doing, I could finally concentrate on my work.

I was on my second chapter when the mad woman whimpered.

I ignored her.

The second time it happened, I took a quick peek at her.

She was crying.

But the strange thing was, she wasn't even awake. She was crying in her sleep.

And from the information I'd gathered from the young adult romance novels I used to read, as a rebellion against my father, the mad woman just had had a terrible nightmare.

And according to those romance novels, the mad woman desperately needed comfort, in the form of hugs and cuddles and physical warmth.

'Should I?' A little voice I didn't know existed inside me quirked up.

I shake my head incredulously. Why was I even contemplating this? She was an annoying little human being who had the wrong idea that I was someone she knew. Someone, from what I'd gathered from her dislike towards me, who had been a jerk to her. Warmth was the last thing she expected from me.

But she did look vulnerable.

A little pat in the head, maybe?

My hand inched towards her of it's own accord. I watch it cover the space that separated us, my mouth hanging open as a large part of me tried to force it back. But it didn't stop. I watched in horror as my fingers made contact with her soft, blonde hair. Their texture was something I could compare with cotton candy. Soft, wispy.

I give her two soft, quick pats over the head.

When she woke up a few minutes later, I was still staring at my hand. I noticed her, from the corner of my eye, peeking at me and then wiping away her tears. I didn't react, and try to maintain my poker face. She must not know about my lapse of control.

"Ah, booze." She moans. I glance at her. She was looking at the bottle of alcohol with stars in her eyes. I see her reaching for the bottle.

"I wouldn't do that..." I warn her.

But she already had the bottle in her hands, and with a smile, she took a huge swig from the very, very strong drink. I slap my forehead.

I'd a premonition the next hour was going to be eventful.

~•~

Hey there!
Lol, I'm so excited about what will happen in the next hour. I had a major block while writing Calum's POV, and I know it's not as great, but I can work on it while I'm editing, can I not?
Anticipating the events for the next chapter,
Later fellas!

 I had a major block while writing Calum's POV, and I know it's not as great, but I can work on it while I'm editing, can I not?Anticipating the events for the next chapter,Later fellas!