Chapter 51| Unmarried and Unpregnant

[Ambrosia Bellemore, One Year Later]

"That's not fair! How come you guys get to be pregnant together while Calum stupid Achorn hasn't even proposed to me yet?!" I say, stomping my foot for good measure.

"You can't still be mad about that?" Caecelia says from where she's plopped on the couch. Freida just nods and nibbles on the 3 Musketeers bar she's been holding on to for the last fifty minutes.

"Of course I'm mad! Why am I the only one still unmarried and unpregnant?!"

"I thought you liked being a bachelorette." Caecelia says with raised eyebrows.

"That was a year ago. I thought Calum would eventually have the balls to marry me after dating me for so long!"

"No one can ever have the balls to marry you, Am. It's a miracle he's been with you this long." Freida says.

"You're my best friend. The least you can do is reassure me that my boyfriend of over one year will finally ask me to marry him." I say, pouting.

"But that would be lying. And it would be a bad influence on the baby." Freida says, caressing her one month swollen belly softly.

"Fine! I'm going to my room." I say and jump the stairs two at a time and into my room. Closing the door behind me, I let out a deep sigh and do what any normal girl would do in times of distress, I plop onto my bed face down and think.

Caecelia and Timothy married two months after Neave and Paul, and Jeremy and Freida a month after that. It would have been natural for Calum to ask me a month or two after that, but he went away on an one month business trip to Uganda and claimed to have such a bad connection that he couldn't even call and say 'hello, how do you do? Are you alive?' to me.

Apart from that, our relationship has been a smooth sailing so far. We went on sweet, little picnics with Mr and Mrs Cadwallader once every month to a huge farmhouse Calum's mother has in the countryside. He even took me on a romantic candle light dinner to Paris on our one year anniversary.

It was sweet and all, but everytime I even try to bring out the prospect of marriage, he shies away and suggests some fun activity with the Cadwalladers which I can never refuse to.

And talking of fun activities, even Mrs Cadwallader is pregnant.

I sigh into the pillow, and a thought, unbidden enters my mind.

Should I ask him to marry me?

I mean, I'm an independent woman. I shouldn't be the one to wait around for my man to get down on his knees, I can do it myself.

~•~

[Calum Achorn]

I groan and switch off the television with frustration. It's been over a year and the paparazzi is still not over it. Yesterday, I'd taken Ambrosia to a low-key coffee shop and this is what I had to put up with in the evening:

 Yesterday, I'd taken Ambrosia to a low-key coffee shop and this is what I had to put up with in the evening:

I won't tie the knot on your suggestion, thankyouverymuch.

It's almost like our relationship is shared by one million other people. Everything we do is plastered onto television screens and magazines. Everytime we kiss we've cameras flashing in our faces.

Even the idea of asking Ambrosia to marry me gives me the willies. The number of people talking about it will drive Ambrosia crazy and she'll never want to be with me, ever.

I'll wait for another year or so, I decided firmly, another year until it all cools down.

~•~

I decided I might as well write another chapter just for the proposal *shrugs*.

(Sorry for the delay, but I hit this ginormous writer's block, and had to squeeze every bit of my creative juice to write this so, sorrynotsorry.)

)