Chapter 30 | A Table For Two

[Calum Achorn]

Ambrosia Bellemore didn't look my way the whole ride home. My fingers kept tapping on the steering wheel, and I think she noticed, since her legs followed the same rhythm as my hands.

The silence was killing me.

"Did you have a good time?" I blurt out, sounding almost squeaky and nervous. I slap myself over the head in embarrassment. I never sound almost squeaky and nervous.

Her head snaps in my direction, as if she was surprised I chose to talk to her at all. Her behaviour surprised me. Why was she ignoring me?

"Uh, yes. I had a great time." She mumbles, so low I had to strain my ears to catch her words.

"Good." I nod, my eyebrows furrowed.

We drive another five minutes in silence. I notice Ambrosia's hands were clasped tightly in front of her.

"Um, Ambrosia? Is something wrong?" I ask, eyeing her suspiciously.

"W-wrong? Nothing's wrong." She babbles, laughing nervously. I don't believe her, but I let it go.

"It's still early. Would you mind joining me for coffee?" I ask, already driving in the direction of my favourite restaurant.

"Sure, Sir." She agrees, an almost smile on her face and my lips lift up in a smile of their own.

What is she doing to me?

A few minutes later, I park in front of Emilio's. It was a small restaurant, cozy and a place I was sure Ambrosia would love. I usually came here alone, whenever I needed some time away from the ruckus of being the billionaire's son.

"An Italian restaurant?" Ambrosia inquires, staring up at the sign.

"It's a friend's."

We walk into the brightly lit room. There weren't too many people inside, just as always. A few waiters roamed around the place in roller skates, humming to the music blasting through the speakers.

I led Ambrosia past the tables and through the double doors, into the kitchen where Emilio, a friend from college, was ordering his sue chef around.

"Emilio?" I call, as Ambrosia stands next to me, looking nervous and out of place.

"Calum Achorn, my invisible-most-of-the-time best friend! So nice of you to drop by!" Emilio gushes fakely, rushing through the counters to meet us. He jumps into my arms with over enthusiasm as I sigh. Ambrosia laughs under her breath at my pained expression, and I glare playfully at her.

"Emilio, I think that's enough." I advice, easily peeling off the excited middle aged man off of me.

"Enough? I see you once or twice in a month as it is! If I didn't know better, I would doubt you spend all your time with a woman, away from..." He trails off when his eyes land on Ambrosia standing next to me. His eyes widen and he takes a few steps back. I brace myself for the overreaction.

One.

Two.

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

The little bald man who was probably in his early thirties, stares at me as if I'd returned his kidnapped daughter back to him. Calum Achorn sighs next to me.

What is going on?

"You brought over a woman?" He murmurs in what I believe is surprise, a bit of wonder and a whole lot of disbelief.

Is it so hard to believe that I'm a woman?

"Apparently, Emilio."

"Bless my heart. Danny, tell me you see her too." Emilio crosses his heart and throws a relieved look skyward.