Chapter 40 | May I Have The Honour Of This Dance?

[Calum Achorn]

The first thing I heard as I neared the green house were voices. The lights were on, which was kind of surprising.

Don't kidnappers like to work in the dark?

I stood by the edge of the glass door and peeked in slightly.

A man stood with his back facing mine in the center of the room. Ambrosia was slumped on a chair next to him with a handkerchief in her mouth, her eyes bored and uninterested.

The man in the middle gives a cackle.

"Here to rescue your damsel in distress, Calum?" He retorts, not turning around.

Ambrosia spits the handkerchief out in a fury and glares up at him.

"How dare you call me a damsel in distress, you mongrel. I'll feed on your soul after I shred it into pieces." She spats.

The kidnapper flinches and mumbles something to her, which surprising sounds like some sort of apology.

"Ambrosia," I cry out, my anger dissipating now that I could see that she was fine and sarcastic as ever. "Are you okay?"

"Of course, Mr Achorn. What could possibly happen to me?" She smiles innocently at me.

"Let me take care of this goon, then. And we can go back to the ball. I guess I owe you a dance, Miss Bellemore." I smirk at her, she smiles back just as radiantly.

"Oh come on. Can you not do this right now? I'm in the middle of getting my revenge, for God's sakes!"

"Who the hell are you?" I ask, inching closer to the man.

"I'm your worst nightmare, Calum." He says, still facing away from me.

"Don't you dare say that overrated line. Say something menacing and creative." Ambrosia instructs.

Why the hell isn't she scared? Shouldn't she be crying for me to rescue her?

"I'm your worst nightmare that came alive, Calum." He says with a shrug.

"Seriously! Are you a little under developed in the brain area, dude?" Ambrosia shrieks, rising up to challenge him.

The kidnapper shrinks away in terror but before he can go farther, I grab him by his collar and turn him around.

"Elliot?" I ask in disbelief.

"Hey," the brown haired man waves meekly at me.

"What the hell? What did I ever do to you?" I cry in outrage.

"What did you do to me? Calum, you destroyed me!" He cries in despair.

"What? I think I'd have remembered doing that." I muse.

"You stole my greatest treasure. One thing that gave me happiness and you took it away!"

"Look, if you're talking about your girlfriend, I swear to God I didn't know. There were a lot of them back in the day, and I honestly don't remember anyone of them."

"What do you mean, there were a lot of them back in the day?" A menacingly calm voice asks from behind. Elliot and I turn around slowly.

"Ambrosia, calm down. It was nothing like that. Just a phase I outgrew." I explain with my palms raised, for God knows whatever reason. She looks furiously at me, as if saying,'you're dead when I'm through you'. I was honest to God scared for my life for a second.

But then she shrugs. "I don't care what my boss does in his spare time." She says, smiling nonchalantly. I'm surprised by the flash of hurt that runs through me. I want her to care.