Chapter 23 | She Looks Like A Disco Ball

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

The dress was too much.

I mean it was pretty but it was just too much for one human being. If the dress were to be cut into pieces and divided between hundred beautiful girls, they'd still look overdressed.

And I wasn't even beautiful.

I guffaw into the mirror and smooth the layers of fabric with my clammy palms.

You can do it, my inner voice assures, isn't this the kind of dress your mother forced you to wear to one of her posh parties?

Exactly. Which is why I didn't want to wear it. My genes were built to rebel against everything my mother wanted me to do, which is why I went to that party in boxer briefs and a Camp Halfblood T-shirt.

But you have to do it if you want your paycheck, my inner voice validates.

I sigh and shrug at my reflection.

And then I walk out.

"Holy malarial parasites." Valerie gushes with seventy percent disbelief, twenty five percent surprise, and five percent jealousy.

Calum Achorn, who was looking at his phone with disgusted amusement, looks up, and his mouth drops open in a silent gasp.

"Told you I look like a troll." I murmur sadly.

"You look..ravishing, Ambrosia." Valerie assures, with a smile that looks too sweet to be true.

"No, she doesn't. She looks like a disco ball." Calum Achorn interjects and I look at him gratefully, conveying my thanks with my eyes.

"Calum!" She scolds him, wagging a finger in his direction as if she were teaching a puppy manners.

"You made me sit here to give advice. That's what I'm doing." Calum Achorn says in a calm voice and goes back to staring into his phone. I wanted to laugh so hard at Valerie's stupefied expression, but the tight dress didn't bode well to stretching, so I controlled it.

"Here, try these on." Valerie stuffs three dresses into my hands and pushes me into the trail room again. I sigh and get out of the death contraption...to put on another one.

You know what, I take it back. This isn't easy money at all.

"Are you done?"

"No."

"Are you done now?"

"No."

"Now?"

"Valerie, for God's sake, shut up!" Calum Achorn shrieks and everything is quiet for a minute.

"Are you done now?" She whispers quietly.

"Yeah. Coming out now." I answer back and walk out again, this time in a orange gown that made me look like a huge, plump mango.

"Beautiful." Valerie compliments.

"My gag reflex seems to be triggered." Calum Achorn says with one small glance.

"Calum, where are you manners?!" Valerie asks in disbelief.

"A gentleman always speaks the truth, Valerie."

"Put the next one on please, Ambrosia." Valerie suggests, inhaling through one nostril and exhaling through the other.

I shrug and walk back into the stuffy stall. The next dress was a sexy, black knee length dress and I hated it the moment I laid my eyes on it.

"You look so hot, Ambrosia." Valerie says with a whistle when I walk out.

"Exactly. You'd burn under the sun, get out of it." Calum Achorn says, his eyes travelling down the dress with distaste.