Chapter 36 | Who Are You When No One's Looking?

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

I was trying to sleep.

But as it goes, the whole universe conspired against me resting. I don't know why, but my body chose this exact moment to become some sort of an undercover agent with heightened senses.

I was aware of every breath Calum Achorn took next to me, I noticed, or felt, as he ran a hand through his hair. I even felt the way he was clenching and unclenching his fingers, just like he always did when nervous.

Why in Persephone's cursed pomegranate tree was I so aware of him?

Of course you're so aware of him, my subconscious interjected. He's the plane guy, the guy you've been searching for all this time.

Until now, I'd been trying to keep that thought out of my mind. But sitting next to him, knowing the truth, I realised how twisted all of this is. In my mind, I made a list of things that made my life crazier than the mad hatter.

Weird things that only happen to
Ambrosia:

1. Ambrosia sits next to a harmless man on his way to New York and takes him to be her long lost bully.

2. She befriends him. And makes herself believe that he has changed. She even starts liking him.

3. As if the above point wasn't enough, after she gets off the plane, she starts looking for him.

4. Even after she realises that the guy on the plane was someone else, she doesn't give up.

5. Accidentally, she finds out that the guy next to her was her boss. (The boss who'd kissed her after giving her food. Talk about perfect timing?)

6. Now, she was on a plane next to her boss, awkward and quiet, and didn't know if she should break the news to him that she knew, or act normal.

7. Then there's still the matter of them discussing the apparent attraction they have for each other.

I sigh inconspicuously. My life could be written into a novel with fifty chapters and it wouldn't even come to a conclusion in the end. (A/N: You can run away now. There's still time.)

And then, as it goes, with a nervous ball of energy next to me and a long list of weird shit in my mind, my eyes become heavy and I find myself going under.

[An Hour Later]

Something moves under me.

I try to remember if I had a giant turtle as my pillow, but nothing comes. The thing under me moves again. I will myself to wake up, but my mind is foggy and I don't know how to control my body parts.

"You drool when you sleep." A warm voice says from somewhere above my head, my recently heightened senses inform me that the voice is smiling.

"Annabeth?" I mumble, half asleep. (A/N: Percy Jackson reference).

"What?" The voice asks in disbelief and...amusement?

"Monster, monsters behind me. Bad witch. Welp!" I mumble under my breath.

The voice laughs, and the sound lulls me into a deeper place, where there are no monsters and no evil witches with my mother's face bargaining for my soul.

"Sleep, crazy girl. I'll keep the monsters away." The voice says before everything goes black again.

~•~

[And Another Hour later]

I wake up feeling like I had consumed a huge bottle of energy drink. I just couldn't keep still. Calum Achorn sat beside me, still as a stone, and I had the urge to poke him just to see if he reacts.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Miss Bellemore?"

"How much longer, Sir?"

"Seven hours left, Miss Bellemore."

He talks to me a little about the Charity Ball we were going to attend in Venice. Freida had ordered me a dress especially for the occasion and I cringed everytime I imagined myself in it.

When he tells me about the people who were going to be there (I recognised too many of them), and the events planned, I started comparing him to the person he'd been on our last flight together. Calum Achorn now is calm, level headed and poised, the son his father has molded. The Calum Achorn then was rebellious, funny and laughed like he meant it.

How can he be two people in one body?

Who is he when no one's looking?

As soon as I asked myself that question, I knew what the answer was going to be.

Calum Achorn was calm, poised and level headed, he was also funny, rebellious and happy. He was all of those things, and more.

Calum Achorn had never pretended to be someone else that day. He had always been himself, on that plane, in his office, in the hospital with those kids, and even now, when he explained to me the techniques of evading over enthusiastic paparazzi in charity balls.

And I knew what I had to do, right then and there.

~•~

What is my insane character planning?!

Ambrosia: Don't you talk to me like that when you are the one who made me!

Author: I'm your mom! You'll treat me with respect!

Ambrosia: Why should I?

Author: Because I...I was born before you!

Ambrosia: and?

Author: And....I..because.

Do vote and comment! Meanwhile, I gotta go find some reasons why we should treat our elders with respect.