Chapter 41 | We're Amazing and Wonderful and Cool

Thank you whoreadsavid for the beautiful cover above and the others she made for me! Thanks a lot!♡

And we hit 4k reads! Thank you guys!

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

Calum Achorn was a terrible dancer. I mean, he was not the fumbling-nervously-stepping-on-my-foot-clumsy kind, more like the stiff-like-an-iceberg-I-can-sink-Titanic type. One of his hands clasped mine tightly while his other was placed stiffly on my waist. His eyes were on everything but me. We were swaying stiffly and awkwardly to the rhythm.

"Have you ever danced before?" I ask through gritted teeth. With so many people watching us, we might as well be starring in our own television series.

Keeping up with an unfeeling bastard, A true story.

"I don't do dancing," He says irritably, his gaze finally landing on mine. They looked almost panicked. And after all the time I'd spent with him, putting up with his bipolarity and mood swings, I realised that he was nervous.

Finally! A little flicker of life in Mr Ice Cold and Emotionless.

"Relax," I whisper, giving his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. He breathes out shakily, and I realise exactly how awkward this must be for him, how unlike his norm.

"We don't have to do this." I say firmly, already slipping away from his grasp. He looks almost relieved for a moment before his eyes grow alarmed and his grip on me tightens again.

"No! I can do this." He exclaims, swaying again.

"Mr Achorn, you can't be perfect at everything. And this party is almost over, we can head back to our rooms now." I assure him, and his shoulder slackens with defeat.

"I wanted to do this right." He says, almost inaudibly, as if he didn't mean for me to hear.

"You did, Mr Achorn. I was kidnapped and you rescued me like a prince saves his princess. Heck, you even punched the bad guy. It's one of the best days of my life."

"You're just saying that," he pouts and I laugh loudly. Immediately, I feel a hundred eyes falling on me, on us. Calum Achorn must have felt it too, because his jaw hardens and his eyes tighten. The melting ice freezes again.

"You ever been to the terrace, Miss Bellemore?" He asks sweetly, looking down at me again.

"No. Is it nice?"

"Very. Would you like to go?"

I nod excitedly and Calum Achorn gives a chuckle. With my clammy hand still clasped in his, he walks out of the ballroom without even a backward glance at the others. I feel the flash of cameras on our backs as we walk out and sigh.

One can never be alone with this man.

"I'm sorry," Calum Achorn mumbles as we wait for the elevator. I look up at him questioningly.

"I know it's annoying, the cameras flashing everywhere I go. Everyone seems to enjoy it, but not you, so I'm sorry." He bows his head a little.

"It's okay." I say, my voice an octave higher, shrill like a litte girl. I mentally slap myself over the head.

We get into the elevator and Calum Achorn presses the button to our floor.

"Aren't we going to the terrace?" I ask.

"Wasn't it an excuse to get out of the party?" He asks back, confused.

"Was it?" I ask, grinning a little. The elevator opens to reveal our floor, but we don't move.