Chapter 24.1 | Walk Straight Like You don't give A Damn

"You mean to say that you're going to  Cassandra Achorn's birthday?"

"Yes, Freida." I sigh.

"You mean to say you'll be going inside the house of America's richest man?"

"Yes, Freida."

"You mean you'll see the house that has been rated the second biggest house in the country?"

"You're getting fat, Freida."

"I know, it's awesome! Just like a dream...wait, what?"

"A dream come true, Freida."

"Exactly! What wouldn't I give to go into that mansion of dreams!" She says in a wistful voice. I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, Castle filled with money thirsty hounds. Sure, delighted to go."

"Huh. Show me your dress."

"What dress?" I try to play coy.

"Don't play coy with me. I bet even you can't walk through those elegant doors in your usual attire."

"Are you implying I've a bad fashion sense?"

"No. I'm sure faded pajamas and too-bright-for-the-eye t-shirts are an excellent example of good taste in fashion." She rattles on. I narrow my eyes dangerously at her but she isn't affected.

"Your dress, with you inside it. Now." She orders, pointing in the direction of my closet. I sigh and walk in the direction of my closet with slumped shoulders.

Sticking my tongue at her, I walk into it and put on the ice blue dress. After I'm done checking myself in the mirror, I peek out and look Freida square in the eyes.

"Don't freak out."

"Uh, why would I?" She stammers, suddenly nervous. "Do you have half frog parts? Is that why you always cover your legs?"

I give her a look of disbelief and walk out from behind closet door to stand in front of her. She runs her gaze from my head to toe and I wait until she can speak again.

"Woah, you are a girl." She concludes after a minute.

"Eh." I retort, rolling my eyes.

"I know the perfect hairdo for this dress! And the white pendant I have will go perfectly with your eyes!" She goes on and on.

I sigh and settle myself for the whole process of 'dolling up Ambrosia until she at least resembles a human female.'

~•~

There was a sleek, black car waiting for me outside when I walk out of my front door. I call Calum Achorn immediately.

"What?" He snaps.

"Um, Sir. There's a car standing in front of my house. Is that, by any way, my ride for tonight?"

"Yes, I sent Dennyson for you. I won't have you driving in your dilapidated, antique car to my father's house."

"My Prius is very much capable of taking me there in one piece, Mr Achorn." I say calmly, but my teeth ground together with suppressed anger.

"I beg to differ. Get here immediately." He commands and hangs up. I stare at my screen in shock but close my mouth before the flies could get in and get into the car.

"Hello, Miss Bellemore. I'm Dennyson, your driver for tonight." The elderly man greets me, turning around to give me a blinding smile. I stare at him with huge eyes for a minute.