Chapter 39 | Who's The Kidnapper Again?

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

I could hear the party even before I was at the party. There was some old jazz music on, and the people milling around were more interested in talking about business than dancing. The men were in black suits, while the women had gone far out and were sporting every shade of red, green, white, blue and black.

I tried to stay away from the centre, knowing full well that that's where Calum Achorn would be. The man attracted attention like a pop tart on my table in the morning.

I just have to make sure he notices me. Which wouldn't be hard because the dress I had on was like signal screaming for attention.

I made my way to the huge banquet table, which was surprisingly deserted. The caramel custard, the huge chocolate cake, and the chicken tenders on the table looked so forlorn, I wanted to give them a hug and weep.

"I know. They're so bad. Who leaves food hanging? Karma will get to them, I promise." I whisper, shaking my head gravely.

"Why are you talking to the food?" A deep, throaty voice asks from behind me. I whip around to see a man, probably in his mid twenties, looking at me with his big chocolate brown eyes. Something about him reminds me of Mr Cadwallader.

"Because they look so sad." I explain, my lower lip jutting out.

The man gives me a Are You Crazy? look but composes himself quickly. Then he smiles brightly.

"No one eats at these things." He says with a shrug.

"Their loss, honestly." I say with a shrug.

"Aren't you one of them?"

"No. I don't think so, Mr..."

"Elliot Franz."

"Mr Franz."

"And you are?"

"Ambrosia Bellemore."

"Miss Bellemore." He says, nodding.

"And who are you accompanying, Miss Bellemore?"

"Calum Achorn."

The man's demeanour changes when he hears the name. His eyes narrow and his posture stiffens.

"Calum." He spits his name out with disgust.

"Uh, yeah. He's my boss." I say, suddenly nervous.

"We go way back, your boyfriend and I."

"Uh, we're not dating. I'd love to, but no." I say, laughing nervously and waving my hands. I take a few steps back but he notices it and smiles.

"This changes things. Looks like my girlfriend has to wait. This needs to be settled right now."

I look around and notice that no one was paying us any attention. Calum Achorn was nowhere in sight. I could scream, but I couldn't be a damsel in distress crying out to my prince for help. I had to get out of this myself.

"I'll go with you. Don't gag me, or bind me to a chair, and don't you even dare get a crease on this dress." I warn him and walk out through the small door that led outside, he follows me.

"I think we're doing this all wrong. Aren't I supposed to give the orders?" He asks, as we walk through the back garden. I see the green house rise up brightly in the darkness and make way for it.

"Whatever conflict you have with my boss has nothing to do with me. If you use me as leverage, he'll do anything for you. But if you harm me," I look him square in the eye. "He'll make sure you find Hell to be a paradise after he's done with you."

He gulps audibly, and I smirk.

"And I've got some things to settle with him too." I add as an afterthought, smiling widely.

We walk into the green house and there's no one there. I settle myself on the chair and Elliot stands uncomfortably by my side. I look up at him with a frown.

"You've no idea how to do this, do you?"

"I don't go around kidnapping women everyday!" He protests.

"It will probably take Calum awhile to notice that I'm gone."

"How will he know we're here?"

"When the time comes, he will know." I assure him.

"Now, Mr Franz. Tell me about this disagreement you have with my boss."

~•~

[Calum Achorn]

"Can we expect something new from you, Mr Achorn?"

"Not yet."

"Can you tell us anything about the rumours regarding your father's second marriage?"

"My father's been married for thirty years to the same woman and he has no plan of changing that."

"Have you broken up with Natasha, Mr Achorn?"

"Six months ago, fortunately."

"Who's your date for tonight, Mr Achorn?"

"Thank you for asking. I'm going to go look for her now." I say, breaking away from the crowd. The reporters scatter around to find a new victim.

I look around for Ambrosia. There's no way she wouldn't be here yet. I look for the familiar mop of blonde hair, probably messy and unkempt, but there's no sign of her. I walk in the direction of the banquet table, sure she'd be where the food was, but she wasn't there as well.

I checked and double checked the entire floor, but there was no sign of her anywhere. After making sure she wasn't in the toilets, (A/N: He didn't go in. He waited outside for fifteen minutes. Come on, guys.), I started to panic.

Where did that woman run off to?

Just then my cell phone pings with an incoming text. Hoping it's Ambrosia, I fish it out of my pocket. It's from an unknown number.

I hv her wd meh. Cme 2 d green house rn or she's as gud as dead. I'm w8in! ;)

It takes me five minutes to decipher the text but when I do, I feel all of my emotions at once. Panic, worry, but most of all, anger.

I'm going to replace that bastard's heart with kidneys, so that his heart will pump pee instead of blood.

~•~

It's almost 2 a.m now and my eyes are bloodshot. But I. Can't. Sleep.
Drastic turn of events, I know, and major cliffhanger, sorry. :p
I'll try to publish the second part as soon as possible, no rotten tomatoes please.

*not edited*