Chapter 24.3 | The Nerd to my Bad Boy

[Calum Achorn]

Leone Matthews smelled like roses. She also smelled like orange blossoms. And freesia. And lillies. And a rare mixture of freshly turned soil, rain and manure.

After a few minutes of dancing with her, I had to take a breather.

"Leone, let's step out for a second." I beg with clenched teeth. My oxygen level was dwindling at a meagre two percent.

"But why? We're having so much fun!" She protests, punching my chest a few times. I wondered if I should feign being hurt, but her punches felt like feathers against my chest. Feathers that smelled like every perfume mankind has ever known. I controlled the urge to gag.

"Find someone else." I say and run as fast as I can to the bar.

But there's no sign of Ambrosia and the vampire. I search frantically through the crowd, looking for the familiar blue dress but the space is too crowded.

Damn father and his lengthy guest list.

But soon enough, I catch the sight of the messy blonde hair and the shimmering blue dress and my breath catches in my throat.

She's dancing with the vampire.

A strange fire rises up in my throat as I watch her laugh and wrap her arms around the vampire and sway her body to the rhythm. She looked calm, at ease, the opposite of what she looked like next to me, but almost identical to the girl she'd been on the plane.

I have to tell her.

Cold fear wraps around my chest and I turn back around to face the bar, taking deep breaths.

I accept the drink someone hands me and gulp it down, glad as the burn spreads through my body.

"You don't look so good." A familiar voice comments from beside me. I look over and Timothy gives me his signature wide smile. A pretty brunette peaks from behind him and waves meekly. I recognise her as Caecelia from the pictures Timothy had sent me.

"You are here?" I ask in disbelief.

"I wouldn't miss my best pal's birthday for anything." He says with a shrug.

"It's not my birthday." I point out.

"You aren't my best pal." He says with a pointed look. I almost roll my eyes but stop before I could.

"He's a buffon. He loves you, he talks about you all the time." Caecelia whisper shouts.

"Oh babe, come on." Timothy whines and Caecelia gives him a glare, which immediately shuts him up.

"Caecelia?!" A surprised voice exclaims from behind and we turn around to see a disgruntled Ambrosia staring at Caecelia with disbelief. There's no sign of the vampire.

"Ambrosia!" Caecelia shrieks happily and jumps to embrace her as if they were long lost friends.

They know each other?

"What are you doing here?" Ambrosia asks, her voice muffled from the hug.

"Timothy," Caecelia says as a way of explanation.