Chapter 10 | Sounds Like a Plan

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

For another fifteen minutes, there was no sign of Benjamin. I couldn't make myself ask the elderly couple about his whereabouts because they snored softly next to me, their heads over each other. It was really sweet.

After convincing myself that there was no way he could've jumped out of the plane, I ask the air hostess to bring me some coke. She, for some unfathomable reason glared at me as she went to fetch me my drink. I couldn't care less though, I was still suffering under my second hangover.

Half an hour later, Benjamin walks in from the direction of the bathroom. All this time, he'd been in the bathroom?

He slumps down next to me after he's done eyeing the elderly couple, he doesn't give me a glance until he's sitting next to me.

"Look, Benjamin." I begin. "I was drunk, and I obviously didn't have any sense.."

"You don't have to apologize." He says, his eyes warm and mouth forming a soft smile.

"Uh, thatsgenerousofyou." I babble hurriedly. I try again,"Thanks."

He nods in understanding and an uncomfortable silence settles between us.

Fifteen seconds later, I twitch.

"You're dying to break the silence, aren't you?"

I shrug helplessly.

"What if.." He trails off.

"What if what?" I prod.

"What if we start fresh? Like we don't even know each other and are complete strangers stuck next to each other for a twenty four hour flight?"

"Sounds like a plan."

"Very well." There's actual excitement in his eyes. I clamp my eyes shut, count to three and open my eyes again. He's still here, but his smile has dimmed a little.

"What's wrong?" He asks, his eyes cautious.

"I was wondering what-" I gesticulate at him, "-brought on this change?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I have a hard time believing that you, someone who has been a jerk to me for half of high school and half of this flight, suddenly comes up with the thought of being nice to me." I give him a sharp look. He meets my stare evenly.

"Ambrosia." He whispers. "I'm not him."

"What?"

He flinches as his words registers in his brain.

"I'm not who I used to be." He explains. I relax in my seat.

"That's easy when you say it." I point.

"It's not. I was a jerk to you, yes. But I've realised that it was wrong. You're this wonderful person.."

"And how did you know that? Was it my singing? Or my astounding sense of humor?" I retort. His lips twitch.

"A little of both." He admits. I grin back at him.

"So?" He lets the question hang in the air between us.

"Hi, I'm Ambrosia Bellemore. Can I bug you with my horrible sense of humor for the rest of the flight?"

"Hi, I'm Benjamin Earlswood. I sat here gawking at you like a jerk, thinking you'd never ask."

~•~

"We should watch Twelve years a slave, it was very touching."