Chapter 24.2 | The Werewolf Loves me but I Love the Vampire

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

"So you're Calum's assistant? How does that feel?" Xavier prods, sipping on his Martini.

"Terrific, it feels like a leash is slowly tightening around my neck." I admit, sipping on my sprite. He gives me a look of disbelief.

"You don't ever say what I think you're going to say."

I shrug,"Just being honest."

"You want something strong?" He asks, eyeing my sprite doubtfully.

"No. I can't get drunk in my Boss's party."

"Who said anything about getting drunk? Here, have some champagne, it will help you loosen up." He hands me a glass with some pink, glistening liquid. I take a small, tentative sip.

"It's good." I admit. It was light, and tasted almost fruity.

"As they say, a good wine praises itself." He says with a wink.

I smile at him and turn around to look at the people milling around the huge room. From where I sat, I could see that the guests ranged from too- much to can't-even-look-at-them- without-averting-my-eyes. Some were dressed casually, if you can call bright, floor length, costly gowns casual, but some took it over the top with huge Breton hats and gowns that trailed a few feet behind them as they walked.

"Rich people are strange." Xavier comments, looking around the huge hall.

"Coming from you?" I ask in disbelief.

"I wasn't born rich, Ambrosia," He says with a shy smile. "Infact, I was far from it. I was born in Taos, a small town in Northern New Mexico to parents with next to little money. I didn't have much growing up, but I'd always dreamt of being an actor. I just got lucky in one of the auditions, and here I am."

"And here you are." I raise my glass of champagne, toasting it to him.

"Well, I wouldn't be anywhere without this perfect face of mine." He says with a suggestive smirk.

"No kidding. Your personality is so shit, there is no way they'd have taken you in without that face." I say honestly.

"That's rude. But surprisingly, I don't mind." He muses, smiling brightly at me. I smile back just as radiantly.

"Miss Bellemore!" An over enthusiastic voice demands my attention and I snap my gaze away from Xavier's to look at who else but Calum Achorn, with a lace clad lady draped all over him.

Oh God, please don't make him make me work in his sister's birthday party.

"Miss Bellemore, what do you think of the party so far?" Calum Achorn asks, his mouth set in an unnaturally broad smile. I suddenly feel unease coiling my stomach into knots.

"It's overwhelming, Mr Achorn." I admit with a nervous laugh.

"It sure is. This is Leone Matthews, a great friend of mine. Leone, this is Ambrosia, my assistant." Leone shakes my hand and drapes herself over Calum Achorn again.

"Won't you introduce this handsome, young man to me?" He asks, his unnatural smile growing larger, and more fake. I gulp nervously.

"Mr Achorn, this is Xavier. Xavier, Mr Calum Achorn, my boss." I say, gesticulating nervously between the two of them.

"What work do you do, Xavier?" Scary, calm. Smiling.

"I'm an actor, Mr Calum." Coy, unaware of impending doom.

"Have I heard of you?"

"Well, I have starred in some popular movies. Heard of 'Run! Zombies!'?"