Chapter 18 | Come into the Light

The next day, I was typing a letter for Calum Achorn when the lights went out. I look up, shocked when brisk footsteps advance in the direction of my office and stop right in front of my door.

I search around the table for my phone and keep my fingers over the flashlight button but don't turn it on. I wait for the person to walk in and when he does, I switch on the button and flash it on his face. The man screams and flails until he's away from the light.

I had a sudden recollection of the fairytale 'Beauty and the Beast'.

"Come into the light." I command.

"I sure as hell won't come into the light, you breeder of microorganisms that cause me undeniable pain, you benefactor from my grief!" The man screams.

"Mr Gerald Achorn?" I ask in disbelief. Even though it wasn't necessary, I didn't know of another man who had an aversion to brightness to this extent.

"Who else?" He mumbles. "Switch off the light, Miss Bellemore." He commands and I comply.

He sighs when the light goes out and it's completely dark again. I sense him walking forward and making himself comfortable in one of the seats on the other side of the table.

"I take it you've adjusted well here?"

"Yessir."

"I hope my son treats you well?"

"Yessir."

"I have high hopes for you, Miss Bellemore." He admits in a gruff voice. I don't say anything, I bet there was something more he wanted to say.

"Miss Bellemore, can you do me a favour?" He asks abruptly. I shrug and nod a little. But then I realise it's completely dark and he couldn't see me.

"Sure, Mr Achorn."

Just don't ask me for a cup of coffee. I mentally think.

"Did you know how many assistants Calum has fired till date?"

I didn't know what to think of this sudden change in our conversation.

"I think the numbers hover somewhere around the fifties." He says when I don't reply.

I swallow.

"You're probably one of the firsts to last at least a week."

I definitely feel honoured.

"And I really do hope that you would last longer."

You and me both, Mr Achorn.

"Calum certainly has words of praise for you."

"He d-does?" My eyes widen in disbelief, my lips lift up in surprise. Calum Achorn hadn't looked me in the eye ever since I'd started working for him. The closest I'd ever gotten to a compliment was a gruff 'you're five minutes early', so it was shocking that he'd complimented me in front of his father.

"Yeah. Well he did say you make great coffee and that's more than I'd ever hoped he'd say."

My smile immediately drops. I grunt under my breath.

"That's better than what he'd told me about the others." He drops quickly.

"Yeah sure." I scoff.

"Calum has always been taciturn, Ambrosia." Gerald's tone changes again.

Strangely, I don't find that too hard to believe.

"He never had any friends."

Yep, totally didn't see that coming.