Eight: FROM ELIZA TO AQUALAD

Eliza:

Hey Kal.

I know you said you were going out of town and you might not be able to text back but I'm just gonna pray that you're back or you can text anyway

Kal/Kaldur:

Eliza? What is wrong? Are you alright?

Eliza HAS CHANGED "Kal/Kaldur" TO "Aqualad"

Aqualad:

Ah. I see.

Eliza:

So it's true?

Aqualad:

How did you find out?

Eliza:

Well I asked first but I guess that's kind of an answer.

Two of your "teammates" were interested in doing a background check on me after you spent so much time texting me. They slipped up and accidentally revealed that I was texting Aqualad and that one of them was Robin.

Aqualad:

If Robin was one of two people texting you, than the other was almost certainly Kid Flash. They were most likely bored in my absence, I should have left them and Artemis with something to do while Miss Martian and Superboy joined me in Atlantis. My apologies if they bothered you.

Eliza:

No need to apologize. It was hilarious. I tried to text them back to get more deets but I think they're both scared of their phones right now.

Aqualad:

At least this explains why the two have been behaving oddly since I returned.

Eliza:

So you're really Aqualad?

Aqualad:

Yes. I am Kaldur'ahm of Shayeris, an Atlantean providence. I am the protege of King Orin, the surface world's Aquaman. And the team I lead is supposed to be a covert operations team for the Justice League, but from this conversation I can tell that all sense of covert has been blown out the window.

Eliza:

Hey, don't beat yourself up about this. You don't have to tell me more than you're allowed to.

You can stop texting me too if you need to. I'm sorry if I've been a barnacle.

Aqualad:

I am familiar with the word and the species but not in that context.

Eliza:

I'm sorry if I've been acting clingy around you.

Aqualad:

I do not mind, I have likely acted "clingy" as well.

I also do not believe I would be able to stop texting you. Communication with you has helped me to better understand the surface world, especially now that I am spending more time here than in Atlantis. I also enjoy our conversations very much.

Eliza:

Heh. Thanks. But what if the Justice League tells you that you have to stop?

Aqualad:

Then I will simply ignore them. The team has already done it many times. It is not as if it would be a surprise to them.

Besides, what I do on my downtime is none of their business, even my king's. I have no secret identity to protect, like Robin or Kid Flash or the others. So long as I am not texting you in the middle of a mission or a fight I do not believe that the League would care.

And if they do care, that is their problem. I would miss one of my surface world best friends too much to cut them off.

Eliza:

Wow, Kal, I didn't know I meant so much to you.

Aqualad:

Of course you do, Eliza. You are my SWBFF

Eliza:

Your what?

Aqualad:

My Surface World Best Friend Forever.

Miss Martian has been teaching me about acronyms.

Eliza:

That is super cute. You're super cute.

Eliza HAS CHANGED "Aqualad" TO "Kal"

Eliza:

Thanks for being my friend.

Aqualad:

No, Eliza, thank you for being mine.